23 January 2015 | Enterprise Island
Yesterday, it was raining practically the whole day. So we decided to sail to the only really safe anchorage in Antarctica, Enterprise Island, and tie up to the wreck of a large boat called Enterprise. We slept very well, without nightly anchor watch and ice floes.
Today, we did our last mountain, the north summit of Nansen Island (420m). Due to avalanche danger and bad weather, we couldn't do the more challenging south summit. The picture was taken from our drop off point on Nansen Island.
We seem to have a half decent weather window tomorrow, and will leave tonight around midnight to cross the Drake Passage back to Chile, which will take 4-5 days. We're anxious to see how the Drake will treat us this time...The forecast for the next few days is a mix of easterly, northerly, westerly and northwesterly, with wind force 10-30kn and waves between 2-4m. So we will try to juggle our way through the two deep pressure systems as best as we can, and take first a course north, then west, then turn north again, and finally round Cape Horn from west to east. If all goes to plan. If not, we may end up somewhere in the Malvinas/Falklands...