Lilliputian

Cruising aboard the trawler and meandering south. Hope to see you out there.

07 April 2020
03 April 2020
03 April 2020
02 April 2020
31 March 2020
23 March 2020
23 March 2020
22 March 2020
21 March 2020
20 March 2020
17 March 2020
14 March 2020
10 March 2020
10 March 2020
10 March 2020 | White Point, Great Guana Cay Exuma
07 March 2020
07 March 2020
07 March 2020
06 March 2020 | Little Bay, Great Guana Cay Exuma
05 March 2020 | Blackpoint

Back in the US

10 May 2010 | Florida Keys
Deb
We are back in Marathon, FL. We were in Staniel Cay and got a weather report of 3 days of very light winds and calm seas after which another front with strong winds for at least a week. We decided it was cross the gulfstream during this window or it might be a while before we had another chance. We decided to make a run for it. We left Staniel on Thursday morning after having gone to the Cinco de Mayo party at the Staniel Cay Yacht club (Bob you missed some really good free food (great guacamole) and cheap Carona beer, margaritas and sangria) so we didn't get a very early start. We left Staniel around 9 am and went all the way to Nassau, got there right at sunset. We anchored for the night and got up at daybreak and left. We went from Nassau straight to Cat Cay and anchored behind Gun cay at around midnight. Got up at daylight and crossed the gulfstream and anchored at Rodriguez Cay (Key Largo) around 6 pm. We had three very long days but made good time. The gulfstream was very calm as you can see from this picture of a ship we had to dodge. Much better than our crossing going over where we had 8 foot swells. I wish I had taken a picture then so we could compare the way it looked but David was too busy trying to steer and I was too busy holding on and trying not to puke so we forget all about pictures. This time was like crossing a pond. Even though we were going against the stream to get down to Key Largo we didn't have any problems, the current seemed to be light and we didn't get pushed off our track very far. We came on down to Marathon Sunday. It was nice to have a short day. Got here around 1 pm. Stopped at Burdines for fuel; the first time we bought fuel since Georgetown; took 300 gallons. After getting moored David and Nick treated me to a meal at Keys Fisheries to celebrate Mothers Day and being back in the USA. We don't know how long we will be here. It will depend on the oil slick in the Gulf. We got an email from a friend that said Lake Ponchartrain was going to be closed for 3 months but we haven't been able to confirm this yet. We might have to leave the boat in Panama City or somewhere else on the coast if this is the case. We'll just have to play it by ear. Our cell phones are working and we have email access as long as we are in Marathon harbor so please feel free to call or email us. The Bahamas were great but its good to be back home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lilliputian
Vessel Make/Model: 49 Marine Trader Custom Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Louisiana
Crew: David, Deb, and Nicholas (sometimes when he wants to fish or dive...LoL)
About: David and Deb purchased their first boat together before they were even married! Thirty plus years and son Nicholas later and they are still at it! Having just switched from a Gulfstar 50 Ketch that was home for 22 years to a trawler is the focus of this new adventure.
Extra: Totally Retired!!! Now just hanging out on the boat and going back and forth to the Bahamas.. Say hello if you see us!

The Lilliputians

Who: David, Deb, and Nicholas (sometimes when he wants to fish or dive...LoL)
Port: Louisiana