Linger Longer

14 September 2016
06 August 2016
09 July 2016
18 July 2015
24 May 2015
31 March 2015
26 February 2015
15 February 2015 | Barra de Navidad
07 February 2015 | Tenacatita Bay
04 February 2015
26 January 2015 | 19 18.051'N
04 January 2015 | La Cruz, Nayarit, Mexico
25 December 2014 | La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico
01 December 2014 | Ensenada, Mexico

Sailing with the whales

20 August 2013 | Tahsis
Since our last update, we have traveled from the northeast side of Vancouver Island to about half way down the west side over a period of almost three weeks. Due to some weather delays (periodic predictions of gale force winds), we chose to hunker down in various protected coves where we totally relaxed yet there was never a lack of something to do or see. A couple of times, we would venture out of our cozy anchorage and travel the few miles to check on the actual weather conditions at the entrance of the passages we entered in the first place. Yup, the seas and wind are much bigger than we care to deal with on this rock-strewn coast and growing worse by the hour. So we turn around and crawl back into a quiet cove once again. But first we stop to catch a fish (we are now mostly able to catch fish when we want to). Rockfish makes an awesome fish n’ chips meal.

Finally, the weather settles down and we sneak out in the wee hours to round Brooks Peninsula (an area notorious for accelerated winds and confused seas). We deal with some early morning fog that finally breaks up as we approach Cape Cook and we have enough wind to hoist the sails as we round the Cape on the tip of the Peninsula. Soon thereafter we found ourselves sailing with the whales. Humpback whales, way to many to count, over a circumference of two miles from our boat were everywhere, surfacing, moseying along, and diving. This was a first for us, being totally surrounded by whales and we were thoroughly enjoying this entertainment when we realized they couldn’t hear us moving through the water without our engine on. As a few whales came a little too close for comfort, we doused the sails and started motoring. I can’t believe I just said that. We actually became quite nervous not knowing where the next one would surface. This was truly an amazing experience. Turns out, due to the upwelling in this particular area, it is a popular feeding ground for humpbacks at this time of year.

We roasted hot dogs and marshmallows at a beach fire we built one evening with sailors from two other boats with whom we have since bonded after sharing several days hunkered down in the same anchorages. Friendships which will continue to grow as we travel down the coast and beyond.

During the most recent layover in a quiet cove, we had quite a bit of rain (only the second time since leaving Seattle in June). Now, as the moon is waxing to full exposure, once again we can see through the diminishing clouds and favorable weather seems to be on the horizon.
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Linger Longer
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41/43
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Kirk & Kristin Doyle
Extra:
Our adventure started Sunday, June 16, 2013 with many friends "cutting our dock lines" at Shilshole Bay Marina in Seattle, Washington. When we left we knew we were pressed for time to reach southeast Alaska for the most favorable cruising months. After contemplating this dilemma for a short [...]
Home Page: http://www.k2doyle.com
S/V Linger Longer's Photos - Main
Heading north into the Sea of Cortez for the summer where there is less change of hurricanes.
72 Photos
Created 19 December 2015
20 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
Isolated volcanic island and bird sanctuary 18 miles off coast
17 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
46 Photos
Created 3 April 2015
Heading back north, lingering longer at various anchorages.
23 Photos
Created 4 February 2015
We made a quick overnight passage south to Manzanillo.
11 Photos
Created 3 February 2015
4 Photos
Created 3 February 2015
6 Photos
Created 3 February 2015
10 Photos
Created 23 July 2014
69 Photos
Created 1 May 2014
Sights around Victoria
6 Photos
Created 28 March 2014
Broughton Islands and Fitz Hugh Sound, BC
14 Photos
Created 1 August 2013