Sailing aboard Links

04 January 2017 | Vero Beach, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Fort Myers Beach FL
22 November 2016 | Vero Beach City Marina mooring field
01 November 2016 | Puerto Plato aboard Fathom Adonia Cruise Ship
01 July 2016 | Puerto Plato aboard Fatham Adonia cruise ship
26 April 2016 | Okeechobee Waterway
20 March 2016 | Cayo Costa to/from Clearwater Beach
17 February 2016 | Along the Gulf of Mexico
30 January 2016 | Boot Key Harbor
13 January 2016 | Boot Key Harbor
24 December 2015 | Vaca Key
19 December 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
08 December 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
02 December 2015 | Marathon Marina
01 December 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
27 November 2015 | Tarpon Basin at Key Largo
23 November 2015 | Tarpon Basin at Key Largo
22 November 2015 | Tarpon Basin at Key Largo
18 November 2015 | Peck Lake
13 November 2015 | Mullet Creek
07 November 2015 | San Marcos mooring field of St Augustine Municipal Marina

Holiday Highlights in Marathon FL

13 January 2016 | Boot Key Harbor
Jill / dreary and blustery 64 degree day
It's hard to believe that it's been so long since I updated our blog. (Sorry about that, Mom!) It's just been so busy around here! :) Here's a recap with some highlights over the holidays with friends and family.

A couple of days before Christmas, we went Christmas caroling on a Conch Train through Key West. That was a fun and unique experience! Actually, "we" were Sid, Michele, Jen and me since Tim and Bud were still driving back to FL. By the time we walked back to the marina after caroling, the guys had just gotten back to the marina, so we all met at the dinghy dock. Perfect timing! Jen and I had a blast together while the guys were gone, but as you can imagine, we were both very happy to have our hubbies safely back home with us!!

There's always something going on around the harbor and Marathon that you can do alone or with other cruisers - go for dinghy rides to Sombrero Beach and Gilligan's Island, bike rides on the old railroad bridge to Pigeon Key, Sunday brunch under the tiki hut once a month, potluck dinner on Christmas Day, and the refreshing Polar Bear Plunge and delicious Chili Cook Off on New Years Day. It's fun to talk with other cruisers at the dinghy docks, bike racks, laundry room, boaters lounge when accessing the internet or playing Mexican Train, and Sundowners on various sailboats. We've also enjoyed listening to music at Dockside and taking a dip in the swimming pools at Sunset Grille and Banana Bay with Bud and Jen (s/v SeaQuest), Sid and Michele (s/v El Camino), and/or Herman and Sandy (s/v Bonita). What a great group of friends!

Speaking of friends, on Christmas Day, our friends Bob and Sue were vacationing in nearby Cudjoe Key, so they drove over for the potluck dinner at the marina followed by a dinghy ride to Sombrero Beach and a drink at Dockside. Fun day! A couple days later, we drove to their tropical cottage with Bud and Jen, and we spent the afternoon relaxing in the pool, Tim kayaked, and Bud and Bob went fishing for lobsters. It was fun watching the lobsters hide and emerge from under the concrete wall. Bob grilled some fresh fish along with some other tasty food. What a great day with lots of good food and good friends!!

One of the best highlights was visiting with Mike (Tim's brother) and Vicki, who were vacationing in Lake Worth over the holidays. During our visit in Lake Worth, Mike and Vicki drove us around Palm Beach to show us the places where the rich and famous live and shop. It was nice to return to their condo where we enjoyed dinner and games and quality time together!!

Last week, we had a special treat when we stood by the road with flags flying as the Wounded Warriors rode their bikes through Marathon. It was quite emotional!

The Marathon Community Park, which is next door to the marina, also has events happening every so often - Christmas concert, outdoor movie, and my favorite, the Florida Keys Celtic Festival this past weekend. There were food and craft vendors, Sheepdog herding demonstrations, athletic competitions of Scottish games, and great Irish and Celtic music by six different bands ranging from a pipe and drum corps, to an all-sister band, to a rock band with an awesome bagpiper, to a band with 3 drummers, a bagpiper and a didgeridoo producing a tribal sound. The Screaming Orphans, the all-sister band, also performed during the Celtic Contemporary Worship service at the park, which was a unique experience in itself. What an awesome weekend listening to some great Celtic music!

This blog is much longer than I expected. Guess I better not wait so long next time to update the blog. :)

Photos in the above collage were taken at the potluck on Christmas Day, Polar Bear Plunge on New Years Day, Mike and Tim in Lake Worth, Sid and Tim and Bud blowing their conch horns at sunset, and Tim and Jill overlooking Boot Key Harbor. Many other photos with captions can be found in the web album on the right labeled "PHOTOS from 2015/2016 Florida Trip".
Comments
Vessel Name: Links
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105Mc, Sailing Catamaran
Hailing Port: Taylors Island MD
Crew: Tim and Jill
About: We enjoy sailing and cruising around the Chesapeake Bay and the Delmarva Peninsula on our sailing vessel named Links. Every other year we become snowbirds and spend winters in Florida. We visit wonderful places and meet friendly people everywhere we travel. Life is good!
Extra: It's as much about the journey as it is the destination!

Profile for S/V Links

Who: Tim and Jill
Port: Taylors Island MD