Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

DaY 7 OF OUR GREAT ADVENTURE

DAY 7 Dismal Swamp Welcome Center TO Elizabeth City, NC
The raft-up disassembled a little after 7AM for a continuation of our south ride down the Dismal Swamp Canal to South Mills lock. Approaching the lock was intimidating as the water on the other side was lower and appeared that their was no edge to the drop. Our flotilla of boats meandered for the opening. We tied to the fender wall and took pictures of flowers and the other boats. Then the lock master opened the the bridge and our side of the lock and we entered. The lock master was cool and had his dog helping him. He offered the other boaters with dogs to go ashore with their dogs and they did. After locking through we entered the Turner Cut and the Pasquotank River. This part of the trip reminded me of the Chickahominy River back home. Cypress trees and a beautify winding river through undisturbed nature. I saw one huge cypress tree that had to be really old Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxodium_distichum . I doubt the ones we saw were 1700 years old, but were mammoth. I will post pictures.
We had to open a bridge at Eliabeth City. It's a little intimidating having all traffic stop with sirens bells and the bridge opening JUST FOR YOUR BOAT. Well at least another came through with us.
We docked at the Elizabeth City Town Docks and so did many of the boats that had been at the Dismal Swamp Center. WE all re-aquaited and it was determined to meet on our boat for cocktail hour. We got a few projects out of the way. The new windshield was installed by Susan and me and we got it on without scratching it. I finally got the forward hatch hinges reattached. We still have lots to store in places.
Four couples joined us on Liquid Therapy for happy hour.
Jane & Bob Ragan on a Trade Wind 38' trawler "Last Dance"; Jim & Sharon on a 38' Carver "Sharon B"; Mitch and Carole Brodkin (forgot the length and make of their trawler) "serendipity" and Eric and Carolyn 34' Ericson sailboat. Much fun and laughter and the boat was warmed by all. Everyone but Jim and Sharon walked over to Cypress Creek Grill and we all had a great meal and more discussions of boats, trips and destinations.
881 miles to Georgetown


Comments