Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 166 Sunday, April 3, 2016

Passage - Morningstar Marina at Golden Isles, St. Simons, GA to Buckhead Creek 31°49.16N 81°08.96W
7:42 AM Underway
5:37 PM Anchored 31°49.16N 81°08.96W
11.8 engine hours 69 miles

We decided to go as far as we could today. Beautiful day started out with 20-25 knots of wind and the tide working against us. We we running the engine hard enough to make 6.5 knots, but were only making 4.9 knots. I knew that would change off and on all day as Liquid Therapy went behind barrier islands. The tide runs in and out of the inlets on either side of an island and likewise in and out out of the ICW behind these islands in a peculiar way. About half way around an island, the tidal current switches and either aides your progress or hinders it where the two currents meet. It sort of ends with a neutral effect. The wind, on the other hand, was pretty much against us all day long. The windage drag effect of our boat is substantial. Kind of like pulling a parachute behind the boat. That causes a reduction in speed and more of a fuel burn at any speed. Enough of the technical stuff.

The Georgia part of the waterway is beautiful. We crossed Altamaha, Doboy, Sapelo, St. Catherines sounds with their views and effects of the Atlantic meeting the outflowing rivers. The water colors change from muddy to ocean blue. Ocean swells mix with the chop of the rivers making an interesting ride through these sounds and causing one to realize how the boat hull copes. Liquid Therapy rides just great!
We found a nice anchorage and set our standard 4 anchor alarms. The wind had dropped to 0, as the weather guy had predicted, and we settled in for the night. I grilled hamburgers and Susan fixed a nice salad. I ‘messed up’ a new way to cook rice. It didn’t cook, but will be fine tomorrow. Watched a little TV and I suddenly felt tired after running the boat 10 hours. Good night!
Today’s picture is sunset at our anchorage. Also, the stars were amazing!


Comments