Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Passage - Atlantic Yacht Basin to Coinjock Marina, Coinjock, NC

Saturday, October 28, 2017
37 miles 6.1 Engine Hours
Underway 10:53AM Docked 4:05PM

Slow start this morning as we didn’t have far to travel and all day to do it. We poked along south down the Albemarle & Chesapeake Canal ( http://www.visitcurrituck.com/visitor-info/history/albemarle-chesapeake-canal/ ) following the Great Bridge to Albemarle Sound markers. We timed the Centerville Turnpike by running slowly met it’s schedule of 11:30AM. But the North Landing bridge is a race for Liquid Therapy to arrive for it’s 12:00 noon opening. We had to run hard to make that or wait another 1/2 hour for the next opening. We made it by a couple minutes. Lots of math goes on operating a boat. The Albemarle & Chesapeake Canal is a pretty ditch with lots of cypress trees and wide expanses of seagrass wilderness. It was an orderly transit with passing a few boats and being passed by several. Everyone was polite and slow passes were in order for the day.
So, contemplating tomorrow - we are going to have a LONG day traveling to Bellhaven. But incorrectly I have calculated the distance in Nautical Miles and thought I was calculating statue miles. I hate statute miles on a boat. But the AICW is marked in statue miles and that’s why I’m trying to use those units. The actual statue mile distance we were trying to travel is 88.1 miles and that is too far for us. So, plan B is we are heading to Manteo 38.8 statue miles from Coinjock. The weather is going to get really bad tomorrow night into Monday having gale warnings (34 to 47Knot winds. Oh hell, 39MPH - 54MPH ) See what I mean about the units. It’s driving me nuts. Everyone knows that a nautical mile is 6000’ 2000 yards and most importantly one minute of latitude on any scale chart is 1 nautical mile. Oh yea, how many hundreds of yards you travel in three minutes is your speed in nautical miles per hour ( knots ). Travel 600 yards in 3 minutes you are traveling 6 Knots. But 5280 feet in a statue mile is not easily handled ( End of lesson )

Liquid Therapy would rather hunker down in Manteo and have a town available to explore than be stuck at Alligator Marina - which isn’t bad, but it is a one horse show. We will probably stay at Manteo until Friday as we are renting a car and headed back to Richmond for one of those Doctor appointments on Wednesday that we really didn’t want to cancel.
So, that’s about it for today.
Today’s picture is looking back at the cut through the land made back in 1858. Amazing!


Comments