Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Passage Man-O-War Marina - Orchid Bay Marina, Guana Cay, Abacos
8 NM 2.3 Engine Hours
8:26 AM Underway
10:10 AM Docked - stern in, port side to, slip 5 Orchid Bay Marina, Guana Cay

It’s only 8 miles. How bad can it be? We can put up with anything for 8 miles.
The strong winds that have hammered our home back in Virginia have reached deeply into the Bahamas. We had a lull Saturday morning in the forecast and headed to Guana Cay. As soon as we left the sheltered harbor into the sea of Abaco Liquid Therapy had 14-20 knot winds and was bouncing. At least we were headed almost straight into the wind and the ride wasn’t too bad. We had to pass two cuts open to the Atlantic and it got a little rolling at those. I was trying to imagine what was going to happen when we docked. Would the wind be on our nose or our port side? After we got close enough to the breakwater to safely rig our lines for a port side tie, I saw that the wind was going to be blowing us away from the short finger pier while we were backing into the slip. I called and called the marina to find our slip assignment and could not get and answer. I poked Liquid Therapy into the fairway between the two docks and a fellow boater came out and asked if we were going to dock. I told hime yes and he said he would go get the dock master. After his visit to the office I got a call from the marina and the dock master gave us a slip assignment. Also there were several boaters to help. I was going to have to be precise with docking and it would have to be done quickly before the boat would be blown away from the finger pier. Susan and Carter were ready and I backed hard into the wind, quickly turned the boat and backed swiftly into the slip adjusting the angle pretty good. Someone got the stern line and another person got aft spring and the dock master got the forward spring. The wind now was firmly pushing the bow around and the piling was too far away to lasso. I was unable to go forward on the spring line to pull the bow around as someone had tied the stern line with almost no slack. And, the after spring line was not tied. After a few minutes of struggling, the dock master came aboard went to the bow and promptly threw a lasso around the piling INTO THE WIND. Roy Rogers could not have done the lasso better as the dock master got it on the first attempt. He told Carter that he never misses. I still think he was very lucky. Very soon after docking, the wind increased from 16 knots to 18-24 knots. The wind was blowing so hard that later I wanted to adjust the forward spring line and actually started the engine, put it in forward at idle to pull the stern spring line tight and give me slack in the forward.
Anyhow, we got in with no damage and went to the nice farmer’s market held right here at the marina. We fixed dinner aboard as it was too windy to walk anywhere but the marina restaurant. The marina restaurant was overwhelmed and we saw all tables full with very few eating. That is always my sign to leave at a restaurant.
Today’s picture is of Carter, Me, Susan and Nelson.


Comments