Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 11&12 - Friday&Saturday, October 11&12, 2019

Passage - National Harbor Marina - Alexandria
9:03 AM Underway
12:33 PM Docked Port Side Tie Slip A-19
2.7 miles


Short ride yesterday from the National Harbor to Alexandria City Marina. We lucked in on the only T- Head dock the marina has. We were luckier than we thought when the high tide arrived and all the finger piers on regular slips went under water. The main dock just stayed barely above the rising tide. I asked the dock master if this happens often. Only when they drain the swamp 5 miles further upstream. HA! The city docks are fixed and there is a storm pushing water up the Chesapeake and the rivers too. I had gotten a weather warning alarm on my radio yesterday for flooding forecast in Annapolis. I had no idea the extra high tide would make it up to Alexandria. We are almost up to the fall line of the Potomac about 10 miles further up river. The city dock is really close to everything in Old Town Alexandria.

My friends Chris and Gina live in Dumfries, VA and drove up to have dinner last night. It was really good to see these two in person and catch up. We walked down King St. to Landini Brothers, a really good Italian restaurant. We waited outside on the street and listened to a very talented Vibraphone musician playing. We always find music everywhere we go and there were lots of sounds coming out of restaurants and on the streets as well. Old Town is a pretty happening place on Friday night. We all walked back and continued our catching up talking until after midnight.

Wow were we surprised that this morning, Saturday, high tide had come over the main dock a little after 8AM. There was lots of debris all over the dock. The tide retreated it seemed much faster than it came in. We went ashore for lunch and to look around some. The sidewalks were crowded. I guess they are Christmas shopping. And, actually we bought some Christmas items. All the restaurants were busy. We walked about half a mile to a nice Greek restaurant. Cretekou Taverna. We had a wonderful sampler plate and soups. We made it back to the boat before the next hight tide. We watched the tide cover the dock. Then from the flybridge we watch the planes land and tour boats taking people about, wedding photoshoots and lots of people watching.
Today's picture is our dock about 1 1/2hours before high tide..


Comments