Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

DAY 2 2020 Fall Cruise

Thursday, September 24. 2020
0 Miles Old Point Comfort Marina, Fort Monroe, VA

So we decided to stay another day at Fort Monroe. The remnants of Beta are approaching Norfolk and the weather is going to be rainy. We’d rather be stuck here, at Fort Monroe, then in Chesapeake or Coinjock. In fact we’ve decided to stay Friday night as well. Saturday looks like it will be good weather and we are just not in any rush to be any place any particular time.

Humm, what did we do and where did we eat today? Wow we certainly had to have a light breakfast after feasting last night. But we had been told about the Fort Monroe Firehouse that was now a coffee and sandwich shop. So, we put that down as our eating place for today. Our freezer is still so full we cannot fit any ice in there. Same with the refrigerator.

Today started out trying to trouble shoot Alexa. Last night she lost her mind and has not spoken to us all day long. So, it’s reconfiguring the Sonos speaker she lives inside of, googling to find more ideas of what is wrong. We like asking Alexa stupid questions to see what she will answer. Alexa is just kind of a high tech version of that 8 ball toy that you’d ask questions to and turn it upside down for the answer to show up. That 8 ball was lots more fun than that Ouija Board for answering questions and I never found out who was blowing on my neck when using the Ouija Board.
But Alexa is fun. She just was feeling under the weather and after all my frustrations of logging into this and that and having no luck in making her feel better. I started to unplug her and take her to the ER for a Covid test. But her fever broke and she is well again. To see if Alexa is ok I ask her to tell me a fart joke. She knows a lot of those.

And, my AIS ( Automatic Identification System ) will no longer connect with WIFI. I worked on the configuration of that thing too and never solved it. I now have a trouble ticket with the support group in NEW ZEALAND where that thing in made. I never know what is a good time to call them. It is not critical and it functions. I just like it to transmit over WIFI so I can see it with the MackBookPro and iPad.

We took a nice walk around Fort Monroe. Jill Biden was here today too. There were lots more vehicles and helicopters around. We didn’t get caught up in any of that. Jill was not at the Firehouse coffee shop where we ate lunch and had nice latte’s. We walked across the moat bridge and saw the prison where Jefferson Davis was imprisoned for two years after the war. It started raining and we walked back toward the boat and then the rain let up and we walked around the historic Chamberlin. It felt good getting a walk in. I used to engineer circuits for the Army Command here when I worked for the Telephone Co. Fort Monroe was decommissioned in 2011.Fort Monroe is now owned by the state of Virginia and you can rent the former Army Officer’s homes. It is really something to see and think about the history. Here is a link to the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Monroe .

Today’s picture is an aircraft carrier. I took this picture from the seawall of the Chamberlin Hotel.


Comments