Sailing with the Andersons

17 May 2015 | Great Barrier Reef
15 May 2015 | Yulara, Australia
10 May 2015 | Dingo Fence North of Coober Pedy
06 May 2015 | Coober Pedy, Australia
30 April 2015 | Melbourne, Australia
29 April 2015 | Sydney Harbor, Australia
13 November 2014 | Coral Sea
02 October 2014 | Tanna Island, Vanuatu
28 September 2014 | Mamanuca's, Fiji
25 August 2014 | South Pacific Ocean
12 August 2014 | Kandavu
05 August 2014 | Suva, Fiji
04 August 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
03 August 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
22 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
20 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
18 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
17 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
16 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga)

Sundays

20 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
Lisa Anderson
Bale and Alfreddy our very gracious and lovely host family
Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pat, pat, pat...pitter patter, pitter patter, pitter patter POUR! Agh... it's 5 AM and raining hard and our hatches are open! I yell at Larry and jump up naked, my mind going into high speed - the computer on the salon table, Ben's bed under the very large open forward hatch in the V-birth! Such is the life of a cruiser. Larry always says, if it's predictable it's preventable. Yeah, this was preventable but, you are always wrestling with comfort over being smart. And a cool breeze whilst you sleep in the tropics just feels oh so good :)

Well, it's Sunday. We laid back down for about an hour after "the event", and now are rising with that feeling that you have a hangover. We need to leave for the village no later than 9:00 for church, and I feel this obligation that I need to bake something to bring for our host family for lunch after. Plus, knowing that we would probably be gone for about five hours you have to plan ahead. You want to be well hydrated before you go as you will only have the water you carry on your back. But I already have a 20 lb bag of supplies I'm carrying (jam, honey, butter, two pair of flip flops, tea, sugar, some toys for the children etc...) and oh yeah, did I forget to mention that you cannot wear a backpack? No sunglasses, hats, and men must wear the traditional sulu. It's considered rude if you do not carry all things in hand. And if you need to go to the bathroom? Forget it. I'm afraid to ask. So, in other words, you want to be done with all things having to do with bodily functions... if 'ya know what I mean.

By the time we hiked into the village, arriving at 9:50 AM, we can hear the melodic voices of children singing inside. Holy crap, are we late?! No, apparently the children start their Sunday school at 8:00 AM, then sit through the adult service from 10:00 - 11:15 AM, then have to be back for more Sunday school at noon, then having a short break at some point and then more school at 2:15. And let me tell you, this is not fun stuff! There is a man who walked around during our service with a, as Larry calls it, "a child correcting tool"! Yikes! I was scared of him! What if he noticed that I had ever so slightly hiked my long skirt up just to get a little air under there!

We were graciously accepted into their Methodist House of God, and we were grateful for the shade. After the long hike in, carrying all our goodies, we sat of the wooden benches, and that was when I slowly started to melt. The air was still, the humidity was 99.9%, and we were in the tropics! Dang it, I forgot my little woven fan! No problem, I'll pull out the Savusavu Times newspaper I brought for our host family to read later (they crave any kind of reading material they can get their hands on here) and try fanning myself that way. Well, it didn't really work and I was afraid of the man with the stick if I had anything else in my hand besides my bible! We all just sat there feeling the slow trickle of sweat down our chests, down our backs...remembering I have forgotten my water on the boat as well, sigh...then the music began...and as the melodic voices grew to their, oh so right pitch, it made you realize that you were truely witnessing one of the most beautiful things ever. The best way I can describe it is, when the congregation sings - it truly soothes your soul. And so once again, I am pinching myself, not believing I have sailed halfway around the world - to this remote island that only a few people get to visit each year - and I get to be present in this. Wow!

So, after Ben had asked me a half dozen times, is it over yet, is it over yet, it finally was. He is such a sport! We keep telling him one day he will appreciate this. Off to our host family home we go, not sure what to expect because they weren't in the service with us because they are Jehovah's Witness. And there they are, waiting for us with open arms! A beautiful meal was prepared of cassava, sweet potatoes, Fijian cake (flour mixed with a little bit of sugar and coconut milk, then wrapped in a cloth and boiled), fish, a small amount of some kind of dark cabbage, and mussels - that Alfreddy had worked very hard the day before, digging them up at low tide. We sat on the floor in their small but immaculate home and ate and laughed and talked. And we also included some bible study, as we are very curious about the differences in religion. The chief of the village forbids and other church starting up here, but Alfreddy and Bale remain forever hopeful.
I don't think I can quite do justice when I try to describe Fijian woman. They are like that favorite aunt you always wanted to have, that always had a smile and would look at you like you were the most special person in the world. They have that bosom that you just want to rest your head on, taking all the problems of the world away when they wrap you in their arms. They are just so darn capable. They are tough and warm and playful and funny, all bundled up in their dark skin and Afro. I just love these ladies!

What a great day. We returned to Lisa Kay around 3:00, with a smile on our faces and exhausted...but satisfied.

Ed note: Sorry, no Fulaga photo gallery until we reach better internet. At least another week or two. Surprised we can even post this!!! As always we welcome your comments on the blog posts!
Comments
Vessel Name: Lisa Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55 Cutter Rigged Sloop
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Larry, Lisa & Ben
About:
Welcome to The Lisa Kay! We have planned to purchase a sailboat and cruise the world’s oceans for over 15 years. We just didn’t know how, what, when or where. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/lisakay/
Lisa Kay's Photos - Main
25 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
21 Photos
Created 10 May 2015
Tour of an underground hotel, opal mine and an underground church.
27 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
July 2014
39 Photos | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 2 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
5 Photos
Created 19 June 2013
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2012
40 Photos
Created 11 December 2012
This gallery goes with "They Like White Meat Don't They?"
23 Photos
Created 29 October 2012
27 Photos
Created 21 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 7 August 2012
46 Photos
Created 10 July 2012
70 Photos
Created 24 June 2012
51 Photos
Created 24 April 2012
Misc shots of our Carnival experience in Panama City, Panama.
34 Photos
Created 24 March 2012
Photos of our trip into the Darien province of Panama.
90 Photos
Created 21 February 2012
63 Photos
Created 3 February 2012
46 Photos
Created 27 January 2012
38 Photos
Created 6 December 2011
6 Photos
Created 18 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 16 November 2011
Halloween at Marina Papagayo and moving to Bahia Ballena
20 Photos
Created 13 November 2011
Pictures from our visit home
59 Photos
Created 28 September 2011
Shots selected by Ben of his time in Costa Rica
38 Photos
Created 21 September 2011
Pura Vida Costa Rica
27 Photos
Created 27 August 2011
Our trip to the capitol city of Managua, Masaya Volcano, Granada, Mombacho Volcano, Puenta Teonoste, and a zipline adventure.
56 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
Our sailing into Nicaragua then hiking and surfing Cerro Negro Volcano!!!
34 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2011
These are shots of our inland trip to an Eco Lodge at the Mayan ruins near Paleque, 2 waterfalls, and a trip through Sumidero Canyon.
53 Photos
Created 6 June 2011
Tubin behind the dinghy
37 Photos
Created 26 April 2011
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2011