Sailing with the Andersons

17 May 2015 | Great Barrier Reef
15 May 2015 | Yulara, Australia
10 May 2015 | Dingo Fence North of Coober Pedy
06 May 2015 | Coober Pedy, Australia
30 April 2015 | Melbourne, Australia
29 April 2015 | Sydney Harbor, Australia
13 November 2014 | Coral Sea
02 October 2014 | Tanna Island, Vanuatu
28 September 2014 | Mamanuca's, Fiji
25 August 2014 | South Pacific Ocean
12 August 2014 | Kandavu
05 August 2014 | Suva, Fiji
04 August 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
03 August 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
22 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
20 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
18 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
17 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
16 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga)

Off to Oz We Go!

13 November 2014 | Coral Sea
Lisa Anderson


Off to Oz We Go

Lisa, 1200 - 1500 shift

Off to my right, the ocean is sparkling like a bowl of sapphire diamonds. Blue on blue - blue sky, blue water. There is the gentlest breeze coming out of the south/ southwest, tickling my face. The ocean swell a lazy roll. It is warm, but not too hot. Despite the noise from the engine, as we motor sail along, it is just so darn pleasant. But we all know, just you wait. The sea seldom stays calm for long. It is forever in motion, each change from the effect of a distant weather pattern somewhere else.

Today is day 1 of our journey from New Caledonia to Australia. From the Coral Sea to the Tasman we go. This is the culminating trip of our 2014 cruising season, from New Zealand to Fiji to Vanuatu to New Caledonia to Australia. A lot of ground has been covered in six months. A lot of cultures have been experienced, friends made. A lot of laughter, a few tears, several very trying times, and a lot of wine has been drunk. As I reflect back, this whole past year has been a whirlwind - since our return to the Lisa Kay in New Zealand after taking a year off to care for Larry's mom in Napa, California. That all seems so long ago.

We are adhering to a strict schedule on this passage, the first time we've really done so. Three hour watches with six off. But, not hesitating to wake someone up for sail changes etc... It is important for the eight hundred or so miles that we make the best time possible to stay out of harms way as the lows kick up from the southern ocean. In other words it can get real nasty out here in a hurry and you don't want to be dilly dallying around.

As for now, I will bask in the glory and peace of making 7.2 knots in 9 knots of breeze.


November 15, 2014

Lisa, 0300 - 0600 shift

I love this time, dawn that is. It's 4:30 AM, and the sun is just starting to light the sky on our port stern. The half moon shining down brightly on us, Jupiter it's nearby companion. Yesterday was uneventful. We sailed a bit in the beginning, then motor sailed a bit more. Then finally dropped the sails completely and have been motoring since. Where is the wind? This reminds me of our trip from Tonga to New Zealand in 2012. It was like we were traveling in this magical bubble of calm. I had mentally prepared myself for the worst on this trip. It just makes it easier for me. That way I don't feel disappointed or surprised when we get our butts kicked. But now I'm feeling this creeping apprehension like...what's coming?

So, for now I just concentrate on the prettiest watercolor pastels that paint the sky as the boat rises over the swell, rolls side to side - 1,2,3,4, falling, falling, falling, only to do it all again in about 6 seconds...

Lisa, 2100 - 0000 shift

Winds have freshened a bit, to around 12 knots. We are motor sailing along at about 7.4 knots, heading more west off our rhumb line, so that when the predicted winds really do pick up it will have given the boat a better wind angle to sail at. The sky is clear and there are literally a billion stars to gaze at.

So, let's talk food. A good portion of my day is spent thinking about food when we are underway. I become a true "galley winch" and I like to keep my boys happy! I've prepared most of our dinners ahead of time, prior to departure, just ready to be heated up. Lasagne, veggie enchiladas, chicken noodle soup. Pumpkin bread, and blueberry/strawberry muffins. Today was calm enough for me to cook up a batch of chicken curry. The idea being, that when we pull into Australia and bio- security comes on board, that we have eaten as much as we can of what we have on board that they will take away. Meaning any fruit, veggies, meat, cheeses, nuts, seeds, eggs etc...apparently any meats or dairy from New Zealand will be acceptable for us to keep. On top of that, this time, we have a hearty selection of all things snack worthy due to some of the beautiful grocery stores in New Caledonia :). Cookies, chocolate, popcorn anyone?

November 17,2014

Lisa, 1800 - 2100

Ahhhh...we are almost there! 85 nautical miles to go. The past two or so days have been rough, to say the least. And wet, and windy, and with really, really big seas...ugh. This is the first time EVER we've had sea water IN our cockpit! It is just amazing how angry the sea can become as the wind starts to howl. The difference between 17 knots of wind and 25 knots can be astounding! Ben said he saw gusts up to 35 last night. Coming up into the cockpit for my midnight to three AM shift took all the courage I could muster. Just the sound made my heart race and body shake. Ben loves it - finds it exhilarating. Yah, me...not so much. It's scary in the pitch black of night. If the boat doesn't ride up and over a wave then it slaps the side of the hull which sounds like you've hit a wall of concrete. Then there is the two seconds of silence as you start to focus on a wall of white flying towards you then...splash. And no matter how protected you are in your zipped up canvas cockpit, with that much water you get wet. And, with life jacket on and clipped onto the boat, you realize how that "freak" rogue wave could take your whole canvas cover off.

I actually found fish scales on the cockpit cushions. Some poor fish must have slammed into the side of the boat when a wave hit and some of it's scales were ripped off and came in with the sea water! I just kept thinking, THIS was a good weather window? I wouldn't want to be out here when a bad one was predicted.

Larry and I both could not help but think of the sailboat Nina as we've made this passage. She is presumed sunk after going missing in these waters in 2012, seven souls on board. One of the missing, a young woman's family held out hope, searching for almost a year. We now know several of their very good friends and know how much they are missed. We will never forget the Nina and we are forever filled with gratitude for each safe passage we take.

November 18, 2014

Lisa, 0300 - 0600

I'm done. I am so done. My legs are shaky. I just want to stop this perpetual motion. Ben is so jazzed, on this total sugar high. He is ready for some normalcy. He is ready for an English speaking country, internet, and BMX bike riding.

Thirty miles to go and we are now in the East Australia Current, made famous in the movie, Nemo. Yes, that high speed water highway truly exists. We actually have a three knot current pushing us! I keep waiting to hear Crush say, "Dude".... Yes, the end is in sight.

Many cruisers we know have chosen to skip Australia. Stories have circulated how tough customs and bio security can be, how expensive it is, what terrible cruising grounds it has, and if none of that gets you then you will surely die from one of the poisonous/ dangerous things in the land of Oz. Well, I can't speak for any of that yet but we certainly have crossed our t's and dotted our i's to come here. So, with one year visas in hand the Lisa Kay is in ship shape...well, besides looking like a sugar frosted donut from all the salt at the moment :). The rest remans to be seen!

November 19, 2014

Lisa's shift...oh wait...I don't have one :).

Clearing into Australia, in Coffs Harbor was a breeze! Customs and immigration couldn't have been nicer. Within forty five minutes we had our quarantine flag pulled down and were off having a burger. No horror story of our boat being ripped apart. They do take a good look around for termites, and like so many other countries any fruit/veggies, certain cheeses, eggs, nuts /seeds/popcorn were taken. No biggy. I would certainly hope that foreigners would comply with these rules if they were visiting my country, so we don't have a problem with it.

Coffs Harbor is a fishing village/beach resort town. It has a great feel and the people are all so laid back and nice. The one thing I can say is always allow extra time in your day because you will end up stopping and talking to the locals. It's great!

The variety of birds and the kangaroos are new to us and exciting! And we are tickled pink with all the dogs. This is a pooch friendly place!

We are so excited to explore!
Comments
Vessel Name: Lisa Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55 Cutter Rigged Sloop
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Larry, Lisa & Ben
About:
Welcome to The Lisa Kay! We have planned to purchase a sailboat and cruise the world’s oceans for over 15 years. We just didn’t know how, what, when or where. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/lisakay/
Lisa Kay's Photos - Main
25 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
21 Photos
Created 10 May 2015
Tour of an underground hotel, opal mine and an underground church.
27 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
July 2014
39 Photos | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 2 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
5 Photos
Created 19 June 2013
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2012
40 Photos
Created 11 December 2012
This gallery goes with "They Like White Meat Don't They?"
23 Photos
Created 29 October 2012
27 Photos
Created 21 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 7 August 2012
46 Photos
Created 10 July 2012
70 Photos
Created 24 June 2012
51 Photos
Created 24 April 2012
Misc shots of our Carnival experience in Panama City, Panama.
34 Photos
Created 24 March 2012
Photos of our trip into the Darien province of Panama.
90 Photos
Created 21 February 2012
63 Photos
Created 3 February 2012
46 Photos
Created 27 January 2012
38 Photos
Created 6 December 2011
6 Photos
Created 18 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 16 November 2011
Halloween at Marina Papagayo and moving to Bahia Ballena
20 Photos
Created 13 November 2011
Pictures from our visit home
59 Photos
Created 28 September 2011
Shots selected by Ben of his time in Costa Rica
38 Photos
Created 21 September 2011
Pura Vida Costa Rica
27 Photos
Created 27 August 2011
Our trip to the capitol city of Managua, Masaya Volcano, Granada, Mombacho Volcano, Puenta Teonoste, and a zipline adventure.
56 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
Our sailing into Nicaragua then hiking and surfing Cerro Negro Volcano!!!
34 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2011
These are shots of our inland trip to an Eco Lodge at the Mayan ruins near Paleque, 2 waterfalls, and a trip through Sumidero Canyon.
53 Photos
Created 6 June 2011
Tubin behind the dinghy
37 Photos
Created 26 April 2011
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2011