Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

To Finike

After we left Kas we motored the short distance of two or three miles to Kastellorizo, otherwise known as Megisti and about three other names, a little outpost of Greece. We speculated as to where in the water the territorial limits would be between two such close pieces of land, mainland Turkey and this little bit of Greece. We had a little tour round the harbour, which was at the time dominated by a huge cruise liner tied up at the dock, decided it would be quieter to anchor in the bay beside the harbour, and found a nice spot. After a short while and a lot of blasts on the cruise ship's horn, it finally left.

Our old Lagos mates Annie and Matt Boney on Wild One followed us over from Kas and anchored a bit further our in the bay. We had a quiet night, admiring the distincively Greek houses and other buildings on the shore, and putting up with a chorus of yapping dogs which seemed to go on forever. The castle at the entrance to the harbour was floodlit at night, and it looked lovely, with its Greek flag fluttering over it.

We decided to go into the harbour in the morning, tie up stern-to on the quayside beside the tavernas, and spend an hour or two sightseeing and shopping. Shopping is good as the Greeks sell pork and bacon, two items unobtainable in Turkey, also large wine boxes at amazingly low prices, while still tasting of good quality! We bought Steve a small tin of corned beef, one of his favourites, apparently, and I had a coffee and a plate of yoghurt and honeycomb for breakfast. One of my favourites, definitely! Turkey doesn't do such good yoghurt as the Greeks, although it does have a yoghurt drink, runny but tasty, called Ayran, and I have been trying some of that on this trip.

The taverna-keeper who had shouted at us to park somewhere else as we came in, and only relented when Steve told him we would only be there for a couple of hours, watched dourly as we prepared to leave. We dropped the two stern lines attaching us to bollards on the dockside, and Steve went forward to help June raise the anchor (well it's all done by electric windlass really, but somebody has to mastermind the machine!)

Suddenly I became aware of a Greek policeman shouting at us from the dock, and beckoning, He didn't want us to leave. It became clear that this was because the car ferry from Rhodes was entering the harbour, and no other traffic would be permitted to move in the harbour until this giant had come in, turned through 90 degrees, dropped anchor and reversed on to the dock. We stopped raising the anchor, and just sat there, mesmerised, as this huge ship started to blot out the entrance to the harbour, and even most of the sky!

Steve decided we should make a run for it while the ship unloaded and reloaded, about 20 minutes tops, so we hauled up the rest of the anchor, motored rapidly round the huge bow, and heeaded lickety-split for the sea.

Comments