Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

To Finike 2

For some reason this blog doesn't let me edit once I've submitted, so here's the continuation.

From the Greek island we headed further east and south, to the southmost point of our journey, and we headed for a much-vaunted area for sailing called Kekova Roads. This is a sheltered arm of the sea tucked in behind an island - yes, you've guessed it, it's called Kekova - and there are numerous anchorages, and lots of archaeological remains such as sarcophagi, a castle, and various other forts and things.

There are two entrances to this area, and as the wind was blowing really quite hard Steve elected to go for the easterly one of these. I was overcome with a dose of fatigue and took to my bunk for most of this trip, but came to as we motored into a nice little bay, heavily populated with other yachts, gulets, and pleasure boats of all kinds. We anchored with 1 metre under the keel, and despite a bit of rain, had a pleasant night.

The next morning we headed back west under engine, to look at the westerly end of the roads, and on the way checked out an anchorage behind a castle, to which we returned later for overnight anchorage, having been unimpressed by the anchorages at the far western end of the Roads.

We were in a bay not far from a large village, complete with mosque, so we could hear the call to prayer from where we were. There were a few other boats anchored there too, notably a huge gas-guzzler flagged in the isle of Man which had at least three tenders, and was lit up like a Christmas tree all night. These are the kind of boats I have seen at the London Boat Show, and wondered who could buy them, and who would sail in them. I still don't know, but assuredly the recession is not bothering the very rish, they have plenty of ways of protesting what they have.

The last part of our journey took us the twenty remaining miles to Finike, where June and Steve are wintering in the marina. There was bad weather threatening all along our journey, with a bank of black cloud creeping ever nearer, as we rounded the final headland and saw the masts of the marina before us. We got in, morred with the help of the usual marinero in a fast RIB, and got the rain covers on just in time before a downpour hit. Handy for washing the salt off the deck!

We arrived on Wednesday 9th October, and settled in to marina life, exploring the town, finding the supermarkets, all that kind of stuff. The rest of the holiday for us is a journey for the four of us by hire car to Cappadocia, and a flight home on the 22nd.

My thoughts are miles away, though, as I learned late on Wednesday evening that Cathy is in hospital, undergoing tests. My rushing home early wouldn't do any good, I'll be there for her as soon as we get back. Meantime all my fingers are crossed.


Comments