Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

Round Jura with the OCC

The Ocean Cruising Club rally round Jura began with a sail to Craobh Haven, from where we walked up to Simon and Sally's house between Craobh and Arduaine, for a memorable barbecue. We went back to the boat, and next morning we opted for the earlier slack water to enter the famous whirlpool of the Corryvreckan, which was suitable calmer for a wee while while we negotiated the most difficlut parts and swung hard left into the Bay of Pigs. It was well-named, as I couldn't find a shallow enough spot to anchor, so in the end settled for 12 meters, and put out 50 metres of chain. We were fine, except that the spectacular tidal flow outside the bay causes major roll within it. So we had a rolly night. Undaunted, the ten yachts of the OCC headed for either Colonsay/Oronsay or West Loch Tarbert the next day. We just pootled down to West Loch Tarbert, the second anchorage I had never been in before in Little Else, and after some gnashing of teeth and losing of temper (by me!) we found the tiny, faint, leading marks and got into the middle loch without difficulty. A small group of yachts anchored around us, and we had a very sociable evening aboard Vagrant of Clyde.
The next morning we raised the hook and headed for the Ardmore Islands on Islay. There was enough wind - just - to sail down the SOund of Islay, and David, my crew who was new to sailing, helmed very well past the distilleries and Port Askaig.

The Ardmore Islands were terrific, a wildlife paradise, with seals playing around us and sea birds tooGreat socialising as well, on two other boats!

Fog beset us the next morning, so it was on again with the radar and AIS, and the Echomax, only this time I got the foghorn out and gave intermittent blasts on it. Frances and David stayed up on the bow to keep a sharp lookout for any traffic. We had looked at the Calmac timetable beforehand and knew that we were clear of ferries unless we took longer than the morning to complete the trip to Craighouse. We managed OK, and towed the dinghy for the first time.

Picked up a mooring in Craighouse and went ashore for the impromptu meal for all the fleet prior to some of them heading off south. The meal was really good, and one of Simon and Sally's crew, Tony, celebrated hios 80th birthday by buying all the drinks!!!!!!!!

A fun time was had by all, and we wachled back to the boat in good style.

Next day we were the only boat to anchor overnight in Lussa Bay, although two were there for lunch, and we invited the crew of the second one aboard for drinks before they left. In the evening a stag came down and lay down on the beach.

The last day we motored with the bimini up behind the islands, and put Little Else on her mooring. Then we had lunch on board and slowly get ourselves ashore with most of our bits and bobs.

HOme for a shower, a change of clothes, then along to the Galley of Lorne for another meal, there were 12 of us left. As the only resident in the group I invited everyone back to the house where I dispensed drams of single malt to most people, and coffee and water to the rest. What a great week! Above is a lovely photo of Little Else on her mooring at Craighouse on Jura, with the Paps bathed in sunlight behind her. Thanks to crew members David Cook and Frances Rennie for the photograph

Comments