Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

Wall journey

We travelled from Bearsden to Kirkintilloch and Kilsyth, trekking up farm lanes to discover camps on high points in the landscape, which commanded excellent views to the north, where the Roman army were concerned the local tribes would attack from.

One of the best preserved sections of the wall is right behind Cumbernauld Airport. I went to school in Cumbernauld, and not once did anyone mention this piece of history on our doorstep!

The wall continues through Bonnybridge of UFO fame to Falkirk and finally Grangemouth. Driving this route in the campervan brought it home to us that it followed the best and most strategic route possible in the terrain, even by today's standards. Evidence was that the Forth and Clyde Canal was routed along it, as were main roads and rail links.

So after this adventure we headed for Kelso to spend some time with Ju's mum, then a night in Cramond with Ann Cole. She showed us the Roman camp at Cramond, with its bathhouse. These Romans got everywhere!

Then we headed the van north, to a club site in Dingwall, before heading for the ferry.

Comments