Living Well Sailing

25 January 2022
11 March 2016 | Sisters Creek, Marathon, FL
26 February 2016 | Rodriguez Key
23 February 2016 | Dinner Key, Miami, FL
08 February 2016 | Stocking Island, Exumas, Bahamas
04 February 2016 | Volleyball Beach, Stocking Island, Exumas, Bahamas
29 January 2016 | Little Farmers Cay
24 January 2016 | Pipe Creek, still
23 January 2016 | Pipe Creek near Rat Cay and the Mice
18 January 2016 | Pipe Creek by Over Yonder
12 January 2016
02 January 2016 | Bimini Bahamas
31 December 2015
25 December 2015 | Sisters Creek
17 February 2014
20 January 2014
11 January 2014 | Marathon, Fl
24 October 2013 | CHBS
20 October 2013
22 September 2013 | Bloomington, In

Marathon for awhile

20 January 2014
Marathon is such a laid-back place, but it feels like home away from home in so many ways.
Over the years we have become very familiar with the best places to go to find what we need.
We like to go to the American Legion for breakfasts on Sundays {eggs, bacon, ham or sausage, grits,Orange juice,coffee, pancakes or french toast, omelets, or steak.) On Tuesdays we can get $.25 tacos at the Hurricane and Thursdays are the $.25 wings. Any night of the week we can get a cab to Sparkies Landing and get really great peel and eat shrimp during happy hour for $.25. These are the cheap places to go, we also go to the Fishery or to Annettes or the Three Pigs., or the Upper Crust.
In the Harbor we can take the Dinghies to Dock Side or to the other end of the Harbor to Burdines, for good burgers. Just outside the harbor we can dingy to Cast-a-ways (where we were at New Years).

There is a wonderful hardware store a few miles north that keeps Steve happy, so we plan a day to taxi up there, then have lunch at Franks (the lobster bisque is to die for), then a stop at Bealls Outlet to shop, then on to the cheap liquor store, and finally the hardware store.

Another fun thing to do is go to the movies. On Sunday afternoons we like to go to the matinee...we get in at Kids prices ($6.00 @) and sit in this small theater at little round tables, with the usual popcorn and hot dogs, but the unusual pitchers of coke or beer, or wine. We saw "The Hobbit" and "Grudge Match"...both good movies.

The harbor is located next to the Hospital, and so is the Library. Steve also has to get his "weekly fix" at West Marine and Home Depot which are within walking distance.

The Harbor has two entrances by boat. One from the west...7 mile bridge side, past Burdines restaurant, and the second comes in "Sisters Creek" from the reef on the south. There is also a good beach here to spend a nice day on the sand.

And if this isn't enough, the marina is located next to the Marathon City Park which has a ball diamond, basketball hoops, tennis courts, Bocci Ball area, soccer fields, and a wonderful band stand for concerts.

Brian/Lynn and Steve and I went on the keys bus down to Big Pine Island one Saturday to the flea Market. It is only open on the week-ends, but is always fun. We found a Chinese restaurant before heading back on the bus. We can take the same bus on down to Key West and back, any day...for $3.00 each, you can't park for that.

During our last week in Marathon, our friends Vern and Rose arrived on their "38' Carver" from Fort Meyers. They are staying all winter in Marathon, so they made a quick trip back to Fort Meyers to get their van. Now we were really living! Brian/Lynn/ steve/ me /rose & vern went down to Big Pine Key again to the Nautical Flea Market...different than the other one...all boat related. Then out to Breakfast and on a whim we drove up to Tavernier....40 miles or so North to go to a movie...another good one called "sole Survivor". Then we met some of Vern's friends from Charleston S. C. for a late dinner. It was way past bed time when we arrived back in Marathon...almost 10:00...we had started at 7:00 that morning.

Breakfast at the Legion the next morning...Steve, Vern and I were the only hardy souls that could roust out for this. This was our last day in Marathon . We left at sunrise on Monday the 20th of January, heading for the Bahamas.
Comments
Vessel Name: Living Well
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 42' CC Sloop
Hailing Port: Bloomington, IN USA
Crew: Cpt. Steve & Admiral Mary Ann
Living Well's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 24 January 2016
No Photos
Created 24 January 2016
4 Photos
Created 2 January 2016
Sailing Photos
1 Photo | 13 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2010

Nassau

Who: Cpt. Steve & Admiral Mary Ann
Port: Bloomington, IN USA