Living Well Sailing

25 January 2022
11 March 2016 | Sisters Creek, Marathon, FL
26 February 2016 | Rodriguez Key
23 February 2016 | Dinner Key, Miami, FL
08 February 2016 | Stocking Island, Exumas, Bahamas
04 February 2016 | Volleyball Beach, Stocking Island, Exumas, Bahamas
29 January 2016 | Little Farmers Cay
24 January 2016 | Pipe Creek, still
23 January 2016 | Pipe Creek near Rat Cay and the Mice
18 January 2016 | Pipe Creek by Over Yonder
12 January 2016
02 January 2016 | Bimini Bahamas
31 December 2015
25 December 2015 | Sisters Creek
17 February 2014
20 January 2014
11 January 2014 | Marathon, Fl
24 October 2013 | CHBS
20 October 2013
22 September 2013 | Bloomington, In

(Almost) Home Again

26 February 2016 | Rodriguez Key
SKP/calm
2/9 Tuesday. No aerobics, the leader is sick. Afternoon volleyball.

2/13 Saturday. Nothing going on until 5pm for the Trivia game at St Francis. We did ok but did not win.

2/14 Sunday. Beach Church for Valentines Day then back to the boat to sit out the winds.

2/15 Monday. Winds let up a little today so we went to Volleyball Beach for lunch with Alexander's at Chat n Chill, ran into Jason, from CHBS and Alaska, he is on West Wind, sold his boat, then we wandered around a bit then back to the boat to get ready to leave in the morning. Realized we had not paid the bill at Chat n Chill, so arranged to have Ollie from Dejarlo pick up money from Dave and pay the tab. Great people. Still blowing 22-28 kts.

2/16 Tuesday. Departed Georgetown at 7:00 this am with Sanity II. A little rough in the cut and large rollers in the Exuma Sound, but traveling downwind in 12-18 kts and motoring was not all that uncomfortable. Rounded through Dothan Cut at 2:00 pm and found plenty of room at Black Point. Anchored, went ashore for hot showers, drinks, and Pizza at DeShamons and arranged breakfast for tomorrow while we are doing laundry.

2/17 Wednesday. Went ashore and started laundry, had a great breakfast, finished laundry and took the clothes to the boat. Returned to shore and rented a golf cart with Dave and Mary and toured the entire island. To the South is a development that was started and abandoned like a lot of building on grandiose plans and insufficient funding or investment. To the North there is a large sand pile, seen for miles, that is the dredging from the North bay along Dothan Cut that is built for use when the west winds keep the main harbor unusable. Saw some lobster there on the bottom but left them alone. Returned the cart and went to Scorpios for a late lunch early dinner then back to the boats for the night.

2/18 Thursday. Left Black Point at 0800 with Sanity II who stopped at Staniel for water while we continued to Warderick Wells taking mooring ball 18 in the North Field. Had chicken Parmesan on Sanity II and then back to ride out the incessant winds, 20-25 all day and all night

2/19 Friday. Still the winds and still 20+. Went to shore at noon, paid the mooring fee, bought some Andros material, walked to Boo Boo Hill with Dave and Mary then back to the boat. Tomorrow we run to Nassau for fuel and water then Sunday overnight to arrive Florida Monday at noon. Dinghy motor on the deck and dinghy stored for travel. Next need for the dinghy is Dinner Key, FL.

2/20 Saturday. Winds have died down to just around 20 and we dropped the ball at 0700 and wind sailed the entire trip to Nassau, close hauled to beam reach. Fueled up, showered, rinsed the boat filled the water tanks and went out for a great dinner at Mary Ann's favorite Chinese Restuarant.

2/21. Sunday, Starbucks and light grocery shopping then back the boat out of the slip at ~0900, cleared the harbor, and began the hobby horse ride to Northwest Pass, mainsail full and running. Passed the light, there actually is a pole and a light there now, about 1530 and started the glide across the banks. This is where we separated from Sanity II as they are going to North Rocks and Ft Lauderdale and we to Cat/Gun and South Miami. Just before midnight and almost to Gun Cay the clew on the mainsail tore out as the threads sewing the webbing had sun rotted. Stopped long enough to roll in the sail then proceeded through the cut and into the Atlantic and Gulf Stream. It is now Monday.

2/22, Monday. Continuing to Miami in quarter following rollers building from calm to 6'-7' and with no main for steadying the roll made it an uncomfortable crossing. Hand steered some in the surfing seas but auto worked well the rest of the time. Very busy freighter traffic with AIS track crossing down to 1.2 miles on one of the seven close enough to watch. Love my AIS. Arrived Miami 0630 and Dinner Key Marina at 0800, attached to a mooring ball, went to sleep. 1200 went ashore and ran into Helwigs from MadSam on the ball next to us. They are leaving today. Ate lunch at Grove Bay Grill, shopped at Fresh Market, then back to the boat for some TV and sleep.

2/23 Tuesday. Stayed onboard and caught up on rest from overnight trip.

2/24. Wednesday. Took the shuttle to shore and then Dave and Mary drove down and took Mary Ann and I and CHARLIE and Anita to Berries for lunch. A good meal and terrific conversations. Almost stranded ashore because the shuttle was quitting and hour early due to wind. Saw him leaving and flagged him down. Whew!

2/25. Thursday. Dinghied to shore and walked to Coconut Grove, shopped awhile then walked to Flanagans for terrific onion tanglers, philly beef and cheese and lemon cream chicken with fettuccini. Enough for two meals. Stopped at Fresh Market on the way back and stuffed the coffers. Leaving tomorrow.

2/26. Friday. Left Dinner Key at 0800 and motor sailed to Rodriguez Key at Tavernier, just past Key Largo. Fixing bourbon salmon and blue cheese burger for dinner. Marathon tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Living Well
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 42' CC Sloop
Hailing Port: Bloomington, IN USA
Crew: Cpt. Steve & Admiral Mary Ann
Living Well's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 24 January 2016
No Photos
Created 24 January 2016
4 Photos
Created 2 January 2016
Sailing Photos
1 Photo | 13 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2010

Nassau

Who: Cpt. Steve & Admiral Mary Ann
Port: Bloomington, IN USA