Ship of Coull's

18 August 2015
18 August 2015
23 July 2015
16 July 2015
10 July 2015
10 July 2015
01 February 2015 | Toronto
08 October 2014 | gulf of Maine
20 September 2014
05 September 2014
26 August 2014
14 July 2014

Baddeck

20 August 2013
Another beautiful day and a relaxed sail to Baddeck. We call ahead trying to get a slip at the yacht club but its race week and there is no room at the inn. The harbour is packed with boats so we find a spot to drop the hook and will spend another night at anchor. The dingy has worked flawlessly for us this whole trip so dropping it into the water and getting to shore is a simple almost enjoyable process. It's post race celebrations at the yacht club, some light entertainment with a fellow playing guitar and singing rock classics. There is energy in the air that is typical of race weeks everywhere, lots of chatter, boisterous laughter, beer and genuine smiles on people's faces. Another wonderful introduction to another town along the road. We ask and are directed to a good restaurant so Kristen can dive into a lobster supper. They have a hypnotist entertaining at the yacht club but we decide to take a pass and let Kristen get some much needed rest, it seems that Moira and my snoring kept Kristen up last night, at times 42 feet is just not that big a boat.

When we were dropping the anchor both last light and the night before there seemed to be a lack of power when in reverse. I have tried reversing this morning and again there seems to be something not right. Once again it is time to don the scuba gear and take a look. A quick inspection reveals that two of the three roller bearings on my new KIWI Prop have disappeared and this is allowing two of the blades to flop around freely when in reverse. I will need to pull the prop and replace it with our old rebuilt folding two blade. Thank goodness I am carrying a spare prop with me but who would have thought you would need a spare prop? The exchange goes with out a hitch in spite of the fact I dropped one of the blades and it went straight too the bottom. Visibility is good, we are only in 20 feet of water, it's a hard bottom so it doesn't sink into mud and I am able too keep an eye on it, grab it and complete the process. It's on and working well so this is the way things will stay till we haul out in September.
A slip has become available at Baddeck Marine so its time for a shower, charge batteries and do some sight seeing.
The Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site of Canada is a must see. A unique exhibit complex where models, replicas, photo displays, artifacts and films describe the fascinating life and work of Alexander Graham Bell. It's a lobster sandwich for lunch and salmon on a plank for dinner, a bit of laundry and shopping done and we are ready to set sail toward Sydney in the morning.
Our timing is such that we don't need to rush, so its a relaxed down wind sail past Alexander Graham Bells summer home and on down the Great Bras d'Or Channel.
Comments
Vessel Name: Genevieve
Vessel Make/Model: C&C Custom 42
Hailing Port: Picton Ontario
Crew: Moira and John Coull
Home Page: Moira and I are back in Ontario after leaving Genevieve wrapped up for the winter in Rockland Maine. If you are curious please check out our blog. http://www.sailblogs.com/member/log/

Who: Moira and John Coull
Port: Picton Ontario