Ship of Coull's

18 August 2015
18 August 2015
23 July 2015
16 July 2015
10 July 2015
10 July 2015
01 February 2015 | Toronto
08 October 2014 | gulf of Maine
20 September 2014
05 September 2014
26 August 2014
14 July 2014

Enjoying the Bras d'Ors'

20 August 2013
We get an early start allowing ourselves enough time to sail past Bird island before we head into the Great Bras d'Ore Channel with the end of the incoming tide. Doing the route in reverse we stop at Otter Harbour again and get the dingy in the water.
It is all very wonderful seeing the anchorage through the eyes of the children who see all sorts of things that adults are unaware of. This experience finally gave us the "OMG " picture of the Bras d'Or Lakes. Their underwater snorkeling adventure gave them access to all sorts of marine life from large sea worms, eels, muscles, oysters and an assortment of fish.
The boys try the rope swing in one off the bays then its time to harvest some seafood. Prior to the boys arriving Kristen, Moira and John all had a bad stomach with flu like symptoms. It is time to test the theory that it was a stomach flue and not the oysters that made us sick. We find an oyster bed in clear open water and collect several dozen then search out a bed of mussels and gather a bucket full in no time at all. Back to the boat and do the leap of faith. Moira can't bring herself around enough to try one but Owen, Allister Shannon and I try a couple each. We put the rest in a canvas bag and hang them over the side deciding that we will wait to see how we feel tomorrow before we eat the rest. My fingers are crossed.
We love this part of our trip. Sharing this experience last week with Kristen and now with having Shannon and the boys on board is magic. We are blessed that we have the opportunity and the ability to experience these very special times together. The Weather is perfect the sailing is superb, the scenery is gorgeous and the company delightful.
Back in Baddeck Marine we decide we will hold up here for a couple of days and just soak up the moment. Shannon can go for a jog, the boys can snorkel the beach, everyone can try kayaking, restaurants are close and good, there is a ceilidh at the parish hall, what else could we ask for.
Shannon's flight from Sydney is a repeat of Kristen's arrangements so we will need to get back to St Peters and rent a car in Port Hawkesbury again and drive back to Sydney, stay in a hotel and get her on the 5:50 am flight. We stay at the Hampton but unfortunately we are not alone. The place is packed every room booked and there is a community appreciation event going on that has everyone dressed up and ready to party. They do --- all night long. There is yelling and banging on room doors all night at 1:00 the trouble starts with people yelling and partying in the halls. The security is called first and then the police. Nothing will stop the revelers and Shannon and the boys have a nervous sleepless night with idiots banging on the room doors and cursing and yelling till its time to get up and head to the airport. The Hampton is very apologetic for the inconvenience and comp the rooms but this is little compensation for the frightening experience that they endured.
After ensuring that Shannon and the boys are safely on their way home we return to our room and catch up on some sleep and then head to the Fortress of Louisbourg.
Comments
Vessel Name: Genevieve
Vessel Make/Model: C&C Custom 42
Hailing Port: Picton Ontario
Crew: Moira and John Coull
Home Page: Moira and I are back in Ontario after leaving Genevieve wrapped up for the winter in Rockland Maine. If you are curious please check out our blog. http://www.sailblogs.com/member/log/

Who: Moira and John Coull
Port: Picton Ontario