14 July 2014
Up and out into the fog at 8 am. There is a mild southwest wind and seas are running 1 - 2 meters. We follow the chart plotter and motor sail past Little Tancook Island, one of the 365 islands dotting Mahone Bay as the fog clears and Muhone Bay opens herself to us. Finding Jim and Dolly's mooring in back bay is relatively simple but there is no swing room for a boat the length of Genevieve. There are calm winds predicted for tonight so we will let her rest on the mooring ball for the night and will move her tomorrow. Off to research alternatives for riding out the impending storm we talk to several people who all agree that Deep Cove is our best option so we locate Deep Cove on the chart and will head there first thing tomorrow morning.
Three very knowledgeable locals advised us that the best location for us to ride out the storm is Deep Cove and if you Google Deep Cove it is written up as an excellent place to ride out bad weather but it looks very exposed to us. We anchored as far back it the bay as we could but still felt exposed. The holding ground must be good, there is lots of swing room and why should I question local knowledge. Well; we were a bit exposed and of course from the very direction that the 100-kilometer an hour winds came from.
After setting two anchors we striped every thing off the deck, battened down the hatches, rode the dingy back to the back harbour.
Happy Birthday to Jim Dimitroff. We will celebrate with Jim, Dolly, David and Sue with a fabulous BBQ steak dinner. Conversations were around the storm and what everyone had done to prepare. We talked about Deep Cove but our stories and descriptions are not lining up. They keep talking about a new cottage development and we didn't see one. Dolly thinks that perhaps we just weren't paying attention to the scenery.
The storm hits Chester.
We rode the storm out in the comfort and safety of Jim and Dolls beautiful home. The wind is blowing hard but there is just a mist in the air no rain, I am dying to see how she is faring so Dolly has offered to take us for a drive. As we search for Gen we learn there are Two Deep Coves, we are in the wrong one. Very few locals know that there are two Deep Coves. When we find her she is swinging quite wildly in the wind but the anchors appear to be holding. The headsail has been forced a bit open and the middle third is flapping and won't be long before it tears but there is nothing we can do. For the rest of the day the sustained wind is 100 Km an hour and a woman who's house overlooks the bay calls us several times nervous that the wind is bending our boat over so far she can see nothing but our red bottom paint. Its good we are not on board.
Morning the skies have cleared the wind has settled so Jim will ride us out to Gen. in his boat. The 45 lb. Danforth with fifty feet of chain has dragged but the 35 lb. Bruce has held solid. The headsail is ripped and about15 sq. ft. is flapping in the breeze, jib sheets are worn in a couple of places and the shifter lever on the dingy which we left at Jim's dock has been snapped off but everything else looks good.
We motor back to Jim and Dolly's mooring and call the insurance company as we try to sort out what to do next. It is also time to get off Jim's mooring. It is not heavy enough for a 12-ton boat.