Ship of Coull's

18 August 2015
18 August 2015
23 July 2015
16 July 2015
10 July 2015
10 July 2015
01 February 2015 | Toronto
08 October 2014 | gulf of Maine
20 September 2014
05 September 2014
26 August 2014
14 July 2014

Weighing our options after the storm.

14 July 2014
July 7th

We track down Susie Fraser and discuss dock options and she immediately thinks that Derek is the go to person.
Derrick the owner of the Rope Loft has offered his guest dock so we have moved Genevieve to the comfort and convenience of down town Chester.

As we are tying up the boat, a handsome young man approaches us with a huge smile on his face. You wont recognize me he exclaims but within seconds we do. It's Greg Ferraro, our neighbour when we lived in Newmarket in the late 70s' His parents were great friends of ours along with Michael Page and Barb Baxter who lived next door. In fact Barb Baxter still lives in the old farmhouse.
Greg and his brothers Mark and Drew grew up with our kids Shannon and Kristen and cousin Anthea, it must be 15 years since we reunited with the Ferraro family at one of Antheas's birthday parties.

Greg is at the Rope Loft having lunch with his father in law Ian Cross who is a person that we have been told to get in touch with by Dave Foley. Small world. Ian was an honorary member of PEYC when he taught Loran C and other electronic navigational courses a few years back.
We discuss the crossing from Nova Scotia over the Bay of Fundy to Maine. He has knowledge as a delivery captain and has done this many times. Good advice is given.
It's his birthday and after a couple of brews Ian looks at our boat and asks if it is out of Hamilton? He was a member of the RHYC and raced on Genevieve when she matched race against Magistri when she was prepping as a contender for the Canada cup.

We talk about the ripped sail and Greg offers to drive us to Lunenburg to check out Michele Stevens Sail loft and we also intend to see North Sails as well. We are looking for a quick turn around.

July 8th

Off to Lunenburg.

Greg and his lovely wife Alicia and their very talkative 2-½ year old son Ethan pick us up at the dock. I think he has some Grandma Babs in him. He is beautiful and reminds us of Greg when he was little.

Michele measures the sail and feels it could be 4-6 weeks to get the new sail completed. Due to the storm repairs to sails has increased dramatically.

We are dropped off back at the boat, as Greg has to get to work in Halifax. He has his own business and sells hip parts to surgeons. He and his team are at all patient operations to ensure that everything he provides is perfect. (My apologies for the lack of technical descriptions).

Back at the boat we are trying to decide what to do and what we need to do to take advantage of the sail repair time. We could poke around here for four weeks while we wait for the sail or we could take this opportunity to get our car back to Picton and perhaps go and pick up John's mom in Florida and drive her to Orillia to see family.

We are going to meet up with Susie and Dave for a burger to discuss more options for mooring the boat. Ian has suggested South Shore Marine and we can get a monthly rate on a mooring ball of $300.00. Sounds good.

Plans for dinner are totally tuned around when we run into a Rum Squall on Genevieve. Derek joins us and then John Carroll shows up and pulls he 42-foot powerboat in beside us and we welcome him on board. He brings along his buddy Steve Moody. We are given more great information on crossing the Bay of Fundy.
The stories are told and the laughs are great. Time to eat so we have dinner at the Rope Loft before closing. The food is fantastic; Moira's personal favourite is the seafood crape.

July 9th

We clean up the boat and Dolly comes to get Moira to take her to get provisions.
Dolly has been so helpful and caring.
Our Adventure has been so successful because of people like Kim and Trevor, Jim and Dolly, Derek, Susie, Dave and Sue, Lorraine and Walter and Bony and Dave.
They have all made us feel so special. Everyone is so friendly on the east coast.

We hadn't yet decided whether we were leaving or not. Moira over shops.

I return to the boat and John advises that the house in Picton is free for four days let's pack up and head home. What about the food?

We are contacted by "Madacki "Joe and Yvonne and invite them for lunch. Perfect timing. Great to catch up with them. They just arrived and will launch soon to sail to Yarmouth.

After lunch a shower is in order. John and I go to the Mecklenburg Inn to see Susie and have a shower. We eat homemade cookies and I get to use her ironing tool at the hotel. It is for linens and napkins and stuff you feed the roller and pull it through and
the pillowcases look perfect. She only let me do a few napkins.

We talk about our plans for departure but are having a hard time trying to get out of Chester to Halifax. Susie says no problem and introduces us to Lori who is driving there the next day. We need to hustle if we are going tomorrow and need to move the boat.

Call to South Shore Marine and yes they can take us.


July10th

Leave the dock at 7am to head for South shore Marine. It is foggy but the weather is nice. We get there and strip the deck again in case there is wind when we are gone.

All the extra food that might go bad is given to the staff at South Shore marine.

Lori picks us up at the boat yard and we start the drive. We all decide that we should stop at Peggy's Cove first to check it out. Can't see much due to fog but what we can see is beautiful.

There are no trains out of Halifax to Moncton on Thursday's so we will take a bus.

We arrive in Moncton at 8Pm and Walter takes us to his house for a sleepover and pizza. Lorraine picks it up on her way home and has invited Dave and Bony to join us as well. It is a great night of cards. We play "Bitch " again and the boys win.

Our car is at Walter and Lorraine's so this all works out so well.

We can't leave; they talk us into attending The 14th Annual Atlantic Nationals Automotive Extravaganza, Canada's largest auto event. http://www.atlanticnationals.com

I decide to call Lise and arrange for a haircut in Shediac. She is so good.

We make arrangements to meet up with Dave, Bony, Mary and Nelson who we have heard so much about as they are friends of John and Gail Carroll in Chester and also friends with Jim and Dolly. They are just great company. We have dinner on the Main Street at Catch 22 on the patio. Good food.

There is a street dance after and the Band the Mellotones with a four-piece horn section is fantastic.

Home to Lorraine and Walter's for a good nights sleep.

July 12th

On the road again. Leave Moncton at 8; 30 am and spend the night in Drummondville, Quebec.
We receive calls from Trevor and Kim who just happen to be in Montreal and make arrangements to meet in Kingston for an early supper tomorrow. We can't wait to see them.
We missed them when we were in Moncton because they have bought a house on Salt Spring Island in BC. Trevor is working in Toronto.

July 13th

We are off to Kingston and will be home tonight. Hopefully our house is vacant.

Comments
Vessel Name: Genevieve
Vessel Make/Model: C&C Custom 42
Hailing Port: Picton Ontario
Crew: Moira and John Coull
Home Page: Moira and I are back in Ontario after leaving Genevieve wrapped up for the winter in Rockland Maine. If you are curious please check out our blog. http://www.sailblogs.com/member/log/

Who: Moira and John Coull
Port: Picton Ontario