Ship of Coull's

18 August 2015
18 August 2015
23 July 2015
16 July 2015
10 July 2015
10 July 2015
01 February 2015 | Toronto
08 October 2014 | gulf of Maine
20 September 2014
05 September 2014
26 August 2014
14 July 2014

Lunenburg/ World heritage status 1995

05 September 2014
A sailor’s destination since 1750
The chief fishing port during the days of the grand bankers, the most famous of them the Bluenose.

August 25th
Sailing into Lunenburg Harbour is breathtaking. There is a feeling of happiness seeing the welcoming vivid colours of the buildings in the town.

We anchor in front of the Zwicker wharfs and dingy into the Marina dock to check in with the folks at the Boat Locker, locate the showers and get the name of someone who can get our auto helm working again. They recommend Dave Evans who is Scottish and someone everyone has highly recommended. The comments are that Scotland is where the best engineers come from. We can’t loose. He’s from close to Perth where Moira was born. That little coincidence has no consequence on his bill.

Dave is unavailable till Wednesday morning so we will sit at anchor for three days.

We tour the heritage town, lots of exercise as the whole town is built on the side of a hill.

The maritime museum is fantastic, a lot of information on the rum running days and Lunenburg’s connection to the sea.

The Bluenose is there but not open to the public for tours. The crew seemed to be varnishing and ” tweaking” every day. They really needed Don Walton, as he is the best tweeker we know.

Lots of Bluenose souvenirs, trinkets and trash for sale everywhere. Perhaps that will help with the debt load. The locals’ shake their head and have stories to tell. It seems that the restoration management group (or should it be “the rebuild group”) hired experts from Nova Scotia who knew how to build ships then assigned a bunch of characters from Ontario that knew little about the process to run (ruin) the project.
That’s what the locals say.

August 28th

We pulled into the marina for three days so Dave can work on the boat easily. A new seal is ordered from British Columbia and we wait for Fed X.
Getting the auto helm working before we do the run to Main will make the overnight run much more manageable

We checked out a lot of the restaurants but our favorite is a local Pub called the Knot. Great food and prices but not in the downtown core. It was a hike from the boat but well worth it. We went back a second time on the bikes but after a pint; two old people on a downhill run on our fold up bicycles was funny and perhaps questionable.

Comments
Vessel Name: Genevieve
Vessel Make/Model: C&C Custom 42
Hailing Port: Picton Ontario
Crew: Moira and John Coull
Home Page: Moira and I are back in Ontario after leaving Genevieve wrapped up for the winter in Rockland Maine. If you are curious please check out our blog. http://www.sailblogs.com/member/log/

Who: Moira and John Coull
Port: Picton Ontario