Longly Family Adventure

Follow a cruising family's lifetime of adventure!

05 October 2007 | LaPaz
01 October 2007 | LaPaz Mexico
24 August 2007 | LaPaz
27 April 2007 | LaPaz Mexico
13 January 2007 | Biah de Muertos
10 January 2007 | Cabo San Lucas
06 January 2007 | Turtle Bay
03 January 2007 | Encenada, Mexico
23 December 2006 | L.A.
06 December 2006 | Leaving San Francisco
21 November 2006 | San Francisco
17 November 2006 | Transit
14 November 2006 | 40 48'N:124 10'W
28 October 2006
30 September 2006 | Cressent City
15 September 2006 | Washington Coast
13 September 2006 | Washington Coast
12 September 2006 | Neah Bay
10 September 2006 | Port Townsend
09 September 2006 | Seattle

Herbie the Love Bug

06 December 2006 | Leaving San Francisco
KC

Our time in San Francisco has been crazy. All told we have been in the Bay for 20 days. Mandy Vianne and I made our way north to Vallejo to visit Mandy's cousin Sarah and her husband Jake Fazio, with their lovely two daughters Mia and Ruby. We had a wonderful couple days visiting. Jake introduced me to Striper fishing Thanksgiving Day morning, having just enough time to pick up a couple fish, get cleaned up and head over to Jake's folk's place for dinner. Ah, something to truly be thankful for. Thanks Giving dinner was great, with a house full of people, at the Fazio's, and not a stranger to be found. Every one was so friendly, and very excited to know all about our trip and visit with Vianne.
On Saturday the 25th, Ryan finally rejoined our crew, after finishing up with work in Alaska. It's good to have him back! We picked him up in Oakland and stayed around the area for a couple days. While in Oakland we looked up an old high school friend Herbie, and surprised him at his dorm. I only wish I had the camera out to get a picture of his face! I think it took at least ten seconds for his brain and eyes to register that he did know who was standing in his doorway, yet he couldn't figure out how. This was shortly followed by smothering hugs and lots of laughter. We stayed for a visit and dinner, and left the following morning making our way toward Emeryville.
Sean, from Lion's Paw was in the area of Emeryville, visiting family for Thanksgiving, with his wife Audrey and their six month old son Van. We were glad to get a chance to meet the whole family, even if it was for just a couple hours. We all wish them well. While at the Emeryville Marina we wound up visiting with Chris, who was interested in our dodger and how I built it. After several hours of chatting, the sun disappeared. Chris, introduces us to Ed the security guard, who also has a boat in the marina, and forced rum upon us! Several more hours later, after dinner, and more rum, we decided we should probably stay another night. At this point, I'm convinced that I have stumbled upon the makings of a time machine! Its components consisting of two parts conversation, amongst neurotic boaters, mixed with one part Rum...... and Coke. (or the other way around depending on who is performing the majority of the conversing). This mixture seems to have the strange affect of projecting persons through time into the future, where one knows that all the answers to life the universe and everything were discussed, yet certain solutions to conversations are lost in the passage of time, with all the answers to world hunger and an end to war. This whole process ends in a conclusion of one question...."Why is the Rum gone?" During our time in the Bay discovered that we could anchor off the backside of Treasure Island with our paying moorage, and decided that was a lovely idea and transited the following day.
Ryan had an appointment on Thursday with the Passport Agency to replace his stolen Passport. He and I made it there in time and had surprisingly little trouble getting everything taken care of. By three o'clock in the afternoon he had a new Passport in hand. Yea!
On Friday we made our way back to Oakland to pick up our old friend Herbie, who is going to Bible school there. He stayed with us for the night and we sailed for Angel Island, having just enough time to step ashore and watch the sun set. Saturday, we went ashore and saw a Civil War era military hospital that was built for the Calvary. Unfortunate, our reunion was cut short, as Herbie needed to get back for a prior engagement. We sailed south to San Francisco and moored in the Aquatic Park, taking a moorage under sail. (ohh, what skills!) There we said our good buys and Ryan went with Herbie to get him back to Oakland in time.
Our last couple days in SF were spent visiting uncle Andrew and Aunt Tres again, and getting the ever so important, Presents From The Grand Parents, which were sent there in preparation for Christmas.
Having no more reasons to stay in the Bay, we decided to set sail with the tide on the morning of December 5th. It seems that no matter where we go, we stay quite a bit longer then intended! So much for schedules. Off to Half Moon bay and the Channel Islands!
Comments
Vessel Name: Boreas
Vessel Make/Model: 36 Pearson
Hailing Port: Alaska
Crew: KC Longly
About: Mandy Longly Vianne Longly Rian Brooks
Extra: Living the sailing dream on our way around the world!

Cast of Characters

Who: KC Longly
Port: Alaska