The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Bequia - Bek-way

16 March 2010 | Admiralty Bay, Bequia
Bob/ It Rained Yesterday!!! Hurray
From the Pitons of St. Lucia to Bequia what a sail. Winds were ESE at 16 knots, seas were 5 - 6 feet and, with a slight reef in our repaired, batten-less main and a reef in the jib we flew along only occasionally dropping below 8 knots. Waves were flying over the boat and we were laughing at the waves as we read and observed tucked snugly in our cockpit enclosure. A couple of biggies went right over the top of the enclosure, wow. I can't image how wet we would have been without it. It would have been a foul-weather gear trip. Instead with the autopilot steering, we read, watched for porpuses, whales, birds, turtles and other boats. A really great sail. Lucky Bird's bottom is clean, the prop works, the watermaker is putting out 8 gallons per hour and the wind generator and solar panels are helping run the fridg. Ah, back to normal.

Today we'll check-in with customs and immigration and begin touring. My sense is we will stay hear at least through the week end. The forecast is for very strong easterly trade winds, 20 to 25 with higher gusts. Just might be a good time to beach it, do some more touring and do a few small boat projects, you know, varnishing, polishing, cleaning, stuff like that.

Bequia is part of the Grenadines, a collection of small islands between St. Vincent and Grenada. We plan to touch them all and then continue south to Grenada and then over to the ABC islands. That's Aruba, Curicao and Bonaire. But that's still a month or so away so for the here and now it's time to get in the dink and go explor'in.

By the way, IT RAINED YESTERDAY!!!! hurray. Believe it or not Alice woke up around 04:00 to the sound of gentle rain. We did the hatch drill and both us were thrilled to hear the sound of rain once again. Its been since Antigua since we've had any rain. It washed off the dirt from St. Lucia, some of the remaining ash from Montseratt and the caked on salt. Oh for just a little more; maybe with this upcoming weather change we'll see some Atlantic moisture come in across the Grenadines, I hope, I hope.

Meanwhile the water is beautifully clear and so, so warm. Yup life's still good aboard the s/v Lucky Bird.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009