The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Sitting in Nassua

26 January 2011 | New Providence, Bahamas
So the USA is within striking distance now. We had another semi-hard sail from Cambridge Cay to Highbourne Cay, winds N-NE 030-050 at 18 knots and we were sailing 350 degrees. I swore some time ago I would never sail close hauled ever again but there we were rocking and rolling our way along the Exuma Cays on the Exuma Sound side.

We were listening on the VHF radio as we were heading north a few days earlier to Warderick Wells hoping to get a mooring to wait out the pending norther. A guy on Onward returned my call letting me know that there were no moorings available in the Exuma Park but that at Cambridge Cay there were several on a first come first served basis. So we altered course and starting worrying about yet another entry. It turned out we hit the cut at mid outbound tide and it was running, yea really running. So start the engine and power up, 2,200, then 2,500, then 2,800 rpm just to creep along but at least it was against us and if we got into trouble the current would sweep us back into deep water but everything worked out and we rounded the corner and found a beautiful harbor with half a dozen boats and four open moorings, hurray, peace at last. Now we can wait for the next blast.

You know I really like the Caribbean more than these Bahamas. The harbors are real harbors not just an opening between to Cays with current running 3 plus knots. And there is deep, deep water, not heart stopping 7 foot sand bars or coal heads. Admittedly it is beautiful here and there are tons of sailboats. I mean we pulled off Exuma Sound one afternoon having left Georgetown fully expecting to be alone and guess what, we weren't. There were five other boats waiting for us. Oh gee wizz, so much for wanting a little privacy. There are times when you just want to be alone and suck in the beauty and appreciate just how fortunate we are.

Last night we visited with Paul and Sandy on Quarterdeck. Now here is a real cruising couple. They've been out 26 years; sailed around the world and have so so many stories. So much to experience and grasp. It's overwhelming just to contemplate how big our earth is and how much water there is for us sailor types to wander around in.

So we'll sit here for another day or so and then head north and west to Cubb Cay and then cross the Bahama bank probably anchoring out. Now that's a rush, anchoring in 22 feet of water with nothing in sight for 30 miles in any direction.

So that's it for this update, Cheers to all
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009