06 September 2011 | On a mooring off the Sarnia Yacht Club
When we left the Jefferson Beach Marina and said good bye to a few new acquaintenances we suspected the weather was turning sower. We found this small harbor at the mouth of the river that looked safe for all wind directions so in we went. We anchored in light westerlies with the anticipation that there was a shift to the north with increasing winds to 20 - 25+ knots coming over night. Yup, the weather guessers we right; we saw gusts to 30 and were sailing on the anchor back and forth at .4 knots, yikes!! Our trusty anchor held but it is a little unnerving to have a leeward wall no more than 100 or so feet away. But being cruisers and being budget conscious we decided against taking a slip.
There are two moorings in the harbor and we tried calling the yacht club to inquire about them but no one seemed to know whether we could stay on one of them or not. Any hew, we decided that a mooring closer to the middle of this small harbor might be better than the anchor so with the wind blowing 22 - 23 we pulled the hook and attached LB to the mooring.
Sailors will recognize that doing anything in over 20 knots of breeze is not necessarily a walk in the park. LB is a heavy boat with considerable windage and it takes a lot to get her moving and to keep her bow into the wind. Alice was a the wheel with me on the bow directing the up anchor drill. Having sone it some 10,000, ha ha, times we did a seaman-like job without any difficulty, next we had to hook up to the mooring. Now I take the wheel and Alice goes forward with boat hook and two lines in hand. Hurray for Alice, Hurray for Alice. I brought LB up to the mooring and with the wind on my nose was able to keep her parked right at the mooring ball giving Alice some breathing room to get our line attached. Nice job my lady. Once hooked I could then go forward and start the process of securing two of our heavy duty lines to the mooring. Once completed, time for wine, music and dinner. We had a very pleasant however chilly sleep and here we are again, parked, waiting.
It looks as though the remnants of hurricane Lee are effecting our weather pulling massive amounts of wind from the N and NE, of course that's just where we need to go, argg! So we wait and wait, no complaints we'll do some projects, more soduko, more wine and post to the blog. I'll update our positions shortly. It's been a while since I uploaded the lat, lon of our stopping points. You'll see our persistent path west and northward albeit much slower now.
Two great lakes to go and LB will be back having traveled 8,310.04 nm on our log. That's getting pretty close to over 9,000 statute miles. Not to shabby for two ole folks and one super boat.