The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Parked

06 September 2011 | On a mooring off the Sarnia Yacht Club
Ugly
When we left the Jefferson Beach Marina and said good bye to a few new acquaintenances we suspected the weather was turning sower. We found this small harbor at the mouth of the river that looked safe for all wind directions so in we went. We anchored in light westerlies with the anticipation that there was a shift to the north with increasing winds to 20 - 25+ knots coming over night. Yup, the weather guessers we right; we saw gusts to 30 and were sailing on the anchor back and forth at .4 knots, yikes!! Our trusty anchor held but it is a little unnerving to have a leeward wall no more than 100 or so feet away. But being cruisers and being budget conscious we decided against taking a slip.

There are two moorings in the harbor and we tried calling the yacht club to inquire about them but no one seemed to know whether we could stay on one of them or not. Any hew, we decided that a mooring closer to the middle of this small harbor might be better than the anchor so with the wind blowing 22 - 23 we pulled the hook and attached LB to the mooring.

Sailors will recognize that doing anything in over 20 knots of breeze is not necessarily a walk in the park. LB is a heavy boat with considerable windage and it takes a lot to get her moving and to keep her bow into the wind. Alice was a the wheel with me on the bow directing the up anchor drill. Having sone it some 10,000, ha ha, times we did a seaman-like job without any difficulty, next we had to hook up to the mooring. Now I take the wheel and Alice goes forward with boat hook and two lines in hand. Hurray for Alice, Hurray for Alice. I brought LB up to the mooring and with the wind on my nose was able to keep her parked right at the mooring ball giving Alice some breathing room to get our line attached. Nice job my lady. Once hooked I could then go forward and start the process of securing two of our heavy duty lines to the mooring. Once completed, time for wine, music and dinner. We had a very pleasant however chilly sleep and here we are again, parked, waiting.

It looks as though the remnants of hurricane Lee are effecting our weather pulling massive amounts of wind from the N and NE, of course that's just where we need to go, argg! So we wait and wait, no complaints we'll do some projects, more soduko, more wine and post to the blog. I'll update our positions shortly. It's been a while since I uploaded the lat, lon of our stopping points. You'll see our persistent path west and northward albeit much slower now.

Two great lakes to go and LB will be back having traveled 8,310.04 nm on our log. That's getting pretty close to over 9,000 statute miles. Not to shabby for two ole folks and one super boat.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009