The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Counter-Clockwise Cruise

19 July 2012 | Thunder Bay, Ontario
Once Again, Unbelievable
So far: Goulais Bay, Sinclair Cove, Garganthua Harbor, Michipicoten Island/Quebec Harbor, Otter Cove, The Slates, Rossport, Battle Island, Loon Harbor and here we are in Thunder bay. So now let me back up a bit and fill in a few of the blank pages.

One of my first impressions is just how humongous this lake real is. Even the bays are huge. We sail or power sail offshore and then as the evening sets in we starting heading for our harbor of choice for that night. After sailing from early morning we still have another 12 or so miles to "get into" the harbor. And Deep. OMG, our depth sounder seems to record depths to about 450 feet and then for deeper waters it takes a time out. So once we leave the harbor we just turn it off. Back on as we approach with depth of 250 to 300, then when in the harbor 100 down to 60 and finally as we approach the shoreline 35 down to 25 and then we stop. Luck Bird carries about 300 feet of chain so anchoring in 35 or so feet of water is no big deal, but 15 to 20 is better. We dropped the hook in Garganthua Harbor in 35 feet of water and I could see the anchor all the way to the bottom.

Yes this place is big and it takes a while to make passages unless the plan is to hop along the coast from harbor to harbor which if the cruisers have the time is fabulous. We don't have all the time in the world so we've done some longer passages most likely skipping many many historically relevant and geographically beautiful places. And yet, we fell incredibly fortunate to be able to see and experience the majesty of it all.

First Nation People is the title of the Ojibwes who survived here hundreds of years ago. Their presence is observed through their pictographs, their pawkawska pits and the folk lore, those intriguing stories we read in the cruising guides and hear from local people when we stop and ask. We read that there are some of the best preserved pictographs along the cliffs near Sinclair Cove so off we went delve into Ojibwe history.

Sinclair Cove looked like a perfect harbor on the chart, however, with a SW swell running at 2 - 4 feet the harbor is a mess. I can remember harbors in the Caribbean where we rolled at anchor. No fun and now here in Sinclair Cove we were rolling. Now I'm not complaining, I mean we could stay in our bed, but we're older now and we like our calm serene harbors. A bald eagle swooped by, my closest encounter so far. Close enough to discern it features and magnificent plumage. Kind-a makes you feel proud, the symbol of our country's strength, beauty, boldness and power, right there almost within touch.

From Garganthua we set out onto the Lake for Michipicoten Island, a good days sail. We met another cruising team who also left that morning for the island. I heard them go out around 07:00, a little early for the Smithies unless it's a really long passage. We pull up the hook a couple of hours later and headed out to sea, or out onto the Lake. Beam reach, 7 knots all is well. An hour out we spotted the other boat sailing a much higher course. A couple of hours later and they had coursed our bow now heading much lower and under power. The wind was backing, going further and further behind us and as a result we were slowing and I was heading higher, away from the island just to create some apparent wind. Now we were sailing parallel to our mark not getting any closer and the wind was dying, so captain Bob calls for the engine, darn. We tried power sailing but it didn't work with the sails flagging back and forth so roll'em up and sit back with the autopilot doing the work. It's reading time, sleeping time and watching time. We arrived in Quebec Harbor around 19:00 and anchored at the eastern end, still many hours of sun light to explore by dinghy. Three wrecks, an old fishing village, Agate Island and then back to LB for wine and dinner.

So now on to Otter Cove and beyond.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009