The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Cruising The Channel

21 July 2013 | Gore Bay
Our trip had to include a passage through Little Current with the only bridge on our cruise. It only opens on the hour so if you time it wrong...We waited almost a full hour for the bridge. Darn when you arrive at just the wrong time. Lots of loop-de-loops spending time.

Heywood Island and Browning Cove was our destination. We'd heard good things about this harbor so why not take a shot.

Wow!! A Beach!! Into the dinghy and ashore we went. Warm water and Kody loved it. Perfect for the dog. Two to three feet of water out 100 feet. We played, we enjoyed. We also took a long dinghy ride exploring all the nooks and bays. Alice saw a water snake, big deal.

The LaCloche Mountains were not far and there was a fiord called Baie Fine with a special treat at the end called the Pool. This turned out to be a four mile trip into the mountains via this fiord. A little tricky at first, you know white knuckles going less than 1 knot, depth 8.1, 8.0, 7.9, 7.5 and then we were through the tricky spot. We anchored at the head of the fiord and dinghied the rest of the way to the Pool. The entrance to the passage to the Pool was a bit shallow and I guess I'm a little chicken and don't really want to do any bump and find type navigating especially around granite rocks. So we anchored and then took the dinghy.

The Pool is really neat, just the dead end of this rather long cut in the mountains. We beached the dinghy and with Kody free to run we started up the trail to Lake Topaz. About a half hour up hill. No big deal for Kody but Alice and I were pleased when the lake appeared.

Warm, OMG, Clear, unbelievable, no growth on the rocks and yes even Alice was in and swimming. Bob, Alice and Kody enjoying this small piece of heaven on earth.

Later that evening back aboard LB another sail boat arrived and anchored near us. Alright another boat! We dinghied over to say high and met them on one of the granite rocks. People from Israel and Russia cruising in Canada, neat. They wanted to find Crater Lake and had been looking along the shore for the trail to no avail. It turns out Crater Lake is now Topaz Lake and to get there they had to travel the same way we had just finished. They were disappointed that their small charter outboard wouldn't make the trip up and back so we offered them some extra gasoline to do the trip. They were so appreciative of our offer, lots of thank yous and good will, Americans are friendly and we are appreciated, at least in this small corner of the world. They had to start back unfortunately and had to decline our offer. Can you go figure. Israelis and Russians together on a small charter sail boat. Maybe there is hope.

This was as far east as we've been. We turned west back through Little Current and off to Bell Cove. Okay, so this was not one of those must visit again type harbors, but you can't win them all right? 40 feet of water to anchor, no beach and not much to explore, bah humbug.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009