The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Puerto Aventuras and Bahia de la Ascension

22 January 2018 | Puerto Aventuras
For this portion of the trip south we decided to do day hops. 30 -50 miles starting at 0730 and anchor down or tied up by three - four. Puerto Aventuras was our next stop and we arrived around 1500 with building winds and seas. I was a little anxious about entering the harbor because it wasn't very wide with rocks on one side, a coral reef on the other with wind and waves behind. Sailors know that making an entrance for the first time in a following see with limited bail out options can be a little unnerving. I called the harbor master, Gerry, by phone and he was most eager to help and guide us in. "Just line up the yellow range markers and once inside turn right", he told us. It turned out to be a piece of cake, no problemo.

Puerto Aventuras is a gated community with a public marina and private docks in a man made canal system similar to Fort Lauderdale. We tied up in the public side and settled in for the night. This guy, Gerry turned out to be the nicest guy, the most helpful and accommodating. "Just tell me what you need and I'll take care of it". He helped us rent a car so we could explore Mayan ruins of Coba and Tulum, Sent us in the right direction to refill our propane tank and boy what an experience that was. Nothing like the good ole USA. This was a big operation with people lined up in cars, motorcycles and scooters. Picture two people on a small scooter with one of those large cylindrical tanks across the scooter. I can just see the local police and Addison or anywhere USA going bezurk.

18 pesos to fill our tank, that's just less than one dollar US. Wow!! The next day we rented a golf cart to fill our gas tank for the dinghy and generator and took a drive through the private sections of the community. Condos, 3,000 square feet for $390k USD, sweet, private homes from $1 to $5 or more million USD. It is quite a beautiful place with just about everything you might need or want. It's the closest Alice and I have come to thinking about a possible retirement location, truly it was special. We bolted Aventuras around 0730 the next day after having a very quite late night dinner the evening before. We headed south to Bahia de la Ascencion some 40 or so miles south.

We've been here two days and today was quite a surprise. The cruising guides depict this area as being remote with only small Mayan fishing villages with few if any services. No way Jose!! We sailed from Cay Celubera to Punta Allen this morning and to our surprise, expecting to once again be alone, there were pongas, small fishing runabouts, speeding around everywhere. Do you remember the Pink Panther movie with the car chase, the guys in the donkey outfit and the police while two elderly gentlemen sat and watched?, that was us this morning. Around the corner came two more, then three more then in the other direction four more all going full speed, all with passengers with their orange life jackets. What-the-a-heck is going on? Alice and I were cracking up! So we had to discover what these boats were doing.

We launched our dinghy and off we went. We went around an island where most seemed headed. There was a dock and next to the dock a very small entrance into the mangroves. Almost out of nowhere three boats full of tourists disappeared into the mangroves. Not to be left behind we went in followed by three boats going much faster, we pulled over waved and followed. It turns out these boats are all part of an Eco Tour company offering tours of mangroves, searches for crocodiles, bird watching and the like. We had stumbled into a really active program of more than 20 boats each carrying 10 to 15 people. We followed them into the mangroves to a landing where everyone got out and apparently either went to the beach or to a luncheon. Totally unexpected and amazing. We went back out and found a dock to tie up the dink and walked back toward the landing. We wandered into the village of Punta Allen or Alem as on the signs, found a grocery store to buy a few beers and a very small rustic restaurant that had one very large langosta they would cook for us. We sat under a corrugated steel roof held up by crooked wooden polls, next to a dirt road having two ladies who didn't speak English prepare our lobster. Another surprise. Our first taste of lobster served with rice, black beans, tacos, lime and veggies. Just what we wanted. They also served two bowls of dipping sauce, way too hot for us.

We wandered around some more still amazed that in this tiny remote village there are so may tourists walking around on their Eco Tours. Go figure.

We're back on LB, watching for squalls, sitting on anchor in 8 feet of water about ½ mile off shore. It's time for a glass of wine, a good book and maybe a movie tonight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009