The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

More Zip Lining and LB on the Hard

22 March 2018
We decided to do another day on the zip lines but on another course that included eight zip lines followed by a kayak trip through the jungle.



Alice gets hooked up



Ready for her launch



She's off on a 600 meter ride



Check out the tongue action on the captain as he hooks up



Off we go!


(I posted the pictures to the gallery where you can see enlargements.)

There were eight zip lines one of which was just over 600 meters, quite a ride, you could just barely see the landing point off in the distance. After number eight we turned in our gear and headed to the river for our kayaking expedition. They had towed some twenty or so kayaks up the river for us so on with the life jackets, pick up two paddles and into one of the Ocean kayaks.




The first part of the trip was picturesque, meandering through the jungle, about a couple of miles of slow paddling, not very stressful or tiring. Then the river opened into the main Rio Dulce river. We were some three miles down river from the lodge. We had to now paddle these three miles against the river current. We were getting tired and as we rounded each new corner it seemed the trip was endless. After about two hours of paddling, the launcha caught up to us with four other paddlers. We jumped in for a relief ride back to base. All in all it would have been about a five mile paddle. A bit much for our first experience. Alice was a real trouper, putting her all into her paddling.

Before LB was hauled, we had another project. This spring we had replaced the plastic in our deck hatches. The sun had gotten to them and they were seriously crazed. So being down here where the sun is so intense we wanted to protect our investment, so we ordered hatch covers. Alice took a picture of the patterning process.



Making patterns for our new hatch covers

Finally for this post, LB is out of the water.

While here we're going to check the engine's alignment and have her painted. There are a few other things like buying an air conditioner and installing it in the companion way, that was yesterday's project and we slept so well last night; outside temp upper 80's, inside upper 70's, just perfect. It's a small unit and cooled the salon nicely, now I need to figure out how to circulate the cooler air throughout LB. It seems there are always projects to keep our minds and bodies busy. But we are on island time and want to go exploring as well, so projects get scheduled on a "maybe tomorrow" basis.



The Captain checking LB


Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009