The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Cayman Islands but there so much more

16 November 2018
Okay. We are safely tied to a mooring on the south side of Grand Cayman. It's very rolly polly, not so uncomfortable that we are complaining yet moving about looking for solid things to grab onto is where we are. A trip out of the cockpit to check the mooring line or start the wind generator requires a bit of gymnastics. But that's okay for these two old folks, we want to exercise our bodies just not fall down or overboard.

So we launched our dinghy this afternoon. Whew, with winds turning the dinghy into a kite it was quite a challenge. Me at the mast hoisting the dingy bow while my mate, Alice, tried to keep it close to the boat. You can't imagine a 10 foot dinghy flopping around on the front deck, especially when we want to protect our nice new paint job, right! With several grunts, a couple of oh **** we managed to get it over the life lines and then it was a quick drop over the fenders to the water. Success.

Tomorrow we will tackle the outboard motor.

Right now the surge is too much, just picture our outboard hanging off the arch as Lucky Bird goes up and the dinghy goes down. Timing is so critical. It's like trying to thread a needle while walking. You just might make it or not, in our case the not is a big problem, we have to get it onto the transom and safely secured before meeting with Customs and Immigration officials at 10:00 AM tomorrow.

This cruising at it's best, beautiful locations, good wine, but stress to get it all together. On a positive note, I fired up our water maker this afternoon and IT WORKED. Hurray for Lucky Bird. We can make water. Yippie!!

So let's shift to some more positive commentary. How about the kite festival in Sampango, Guatemala.

From Rio Dulce to Guatemala City, on to Antigua for the night and then to Sampango. An early start, a short bus ride and holy smokes there are thousands of people here for the festival. More people than local fireworks display on the fourth. People and cars everywhere yet we were lucky, ie Lucky Bird, that our driver had access to the closest hotel with parking, food, bathrooms, and short access up the hill to the kite flying area. Arriving at the top looking out over this dirt stadium was awe inspiring. There were small kits flying everywhere. The sky was full. Then on the ground we could see the larger home ground kites, the principle focus of the event. These kites were created by families and communities taking a year or so to design and create. Here are a few pictures.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009