The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Jamaica!!

25 November 2018
After getting our engine issue resolved and our SSB sort of resolved we loaded up with fuel, gas and diesel, water and headed back across the Cayman Island North Sound following our in-bound track. No problemo!

Once in the deep water it was out with the sails and we were off to Jamaica. For about four hours before the wind collapsed. We did manage to clear the east end of the island and said good by to Grand Cayman. I knew the winds were going light based on my studies. So on with our engine and hah it ran sooo smoothly. Little did I realize that it would be another 24 to 30 hours without wind.

One of Offshore Predict wind suggested courses would have sent us up to Cuba and then east. I decided to power directly toward Jamaica anticipating the wind would stay light and then turn more easterly.

Yup that's just what happened. We powered all night, all day and into day three hoping to make it around the final Jamaica point before Port Antonio before the strong easterly reset. God bless Lucky Bird. We just made the point with no wind just as it started picking up. 5 then 10 then 15 then 18. We pulled out the main to help stabilize LB but kept powering with only 24 mile to Port Antonio. Long story short, we are at the Errol Flynn marina, having been visited by Quarantine, Customs and Immigration, unfortunately for us it is late Sunday evening and we will have to pay.

Tomorrow another visit to the ATM to pay for weekend services. Oh well it is what is it, right!!

Sailing along the Jamaican coast was spectacular, so much so I think we will rent a car and drive the island. I'm reading Mitchner's Caribbean and Jamaica is spotlighted in his writing.

So we are half way to Puerto Rico and the next passage to the DR may be the most challenging. We are old folks and old folks don't like to go to windward; ease the sails and slide off the wind but for us, no way Jose. Another 1100 mile upwind, so we will be patient and very protective of our lady Luck Bird. We've been over 800 miles from Rio Dulce to Jamaica and after a few days of R&R we'll turn eastward again.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009