The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

St. Lawrence At Last

23 July 2009 | Prescott, Ontario
Bob, Cloudy wind from the NE
Kingston, Ontario was a great town to visit. We stayed an extra day due to a mechanical problem, our starter motor decided it was time to quit. Good for us in that we are still in shake-down mode and expect to be making the boat as bullet proof as we can before we pass Quebec. We stopped in the Kingston Marina and found they had no mechanic on duty so they called a fellow named Bob who diagnosed our probem as the starter, removed it and found us a new one. So hopefully we are good to go engine wise.

Last night after leaving Kingston and powering east through the Thousand Islands we stopped at Leek Island in a small harbor on the south side. Up to this point we have either been staying at marinas or sailing over night so we've had no opportunity to drop the hook. Last night was out first. With Alice at the wheel, I went forward with the windless remote in hand; I prepared the anchor and then turned on the remote to drop and quess what, nothing. The windlass remained silent no matter which remote button I pushed. Alice was wondering what I was doing and was getting anxious about setting the anchor. I decided to drop the hook manually and worry about retrieving the chain in the morning. In about 18 feet of water I dropped about fifty feet of chain and had Alice back down a bit. It set the hook and we were good to go, no wind, three other sailboats and an incredibly serene harbor. Loons were calling there distinctive sound while other birds on shore in the pine trees were serenading us. After a couple of bloody marys, some dinner it was time to call it a day. The windlass would wait until morning.

The trusty volt meter helped solve the problem of a loose wire on the control box, so with remote in and I again approached the bow with Alice at the wheel and wonders of wonders it worked perfectly. We weighed anchor and headed east through the islands. We can now more clearly understand the appeal of the Thousand Islands. Simply beautiful with deep bays and channels with reefs everywhere. Our chartplotter performed flawlessly as we manovered between islands.

Three ships passed us once we entered the seaway channel enroute to our next destination, Prescot, Ontario and here we sit for the night. Tomorrow we will pass through the first of seven locks on our way to Montreal. We're not sure whether we'll make it all the way to Montreal tomorrow or we might stop and practice anchoring again.

The weather was cloudy, rainy with winds from the NE. Tomorrow SE with more of the same clouds and rain. We don't care we can still enjoy the beauty of this area.

Cheers,
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009