The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Tadoussac, Quebec

02 August 2009 | 48 08.308 n
Bob/ Partly sunny, cool, water temp 52 degrees F
Whales everywhere!! We left eartly this morning around 05:00 from the harbor at Cap-a-l'Aigle where we stayed for two nights. The trip from the harbor to Tadoussac is only forty miles but the current is a hugh factor so by leaving at 05:00 we had favorable current right up to the entrance to the Saguenay River. It's here where the river meets the St. Lawrence and tidal currents can be 6 to 7 knots against us so we had to time it correctly.

Just after getting under way I challenged Alice to see who would see the first whales. She won, two Belugas surfaced not 100 yards from us and stayed with us for a while, that was spectactular. Two white whales almost within conversation distance.

Leaving early and travelling only forty miles means we would arrive early just at slack water at the famous Prince Shoal Lighthouse. Here we started seeing whales and seals everywhere. Seals withing 30 feet of the boat and whales both sides a couple of hundred yards away. This is one of the most popular whale watching areas and there are exchursion boats up the gazzo! As we approached Tadoussac we saw a whale blow and then surface and within a couple of minutes there were six or seven exchursion boats, full of people, chasing the whale. We expect that on our sail down the St. Lawrence from tadoussac we will see whales quite often.

We've finally hit salt water and that will be it for the fresh water of the Great Lakes. Quite a trip from Chicago to here. After leaving Quebec City the Laurentian Mountains come right down to the river and there are ski areas right on the river. Kind of neat to be sailing along looking up at ski slopes, must be beautiful in the winter. We took abunch of pictures that I'll upload after checking out Tadoussac and learning its history. Again this is whale country.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009