The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

The Atlantic!!!

14 August 2009 | Canso Harbor, Canso Nova Scotia
Bob/ Incredible, Two days of Georgous Weather
Well we've said good by the the St. Lawrence Seaway officially this morning when we locked-up into the Atlantic Ocean at the Canso Canal. Without this canal and the causeway across the passage, tidal currents through this area would be 6 -7 knot both ways and pleasure sailboats could not make it though. We would have had to go around Cape Brenton through the Cabot Strait. Thankfully somebody very smart thought of this idea and now it's a piece of cake. We entered the lock and went up!! believe it or not to the Atlantic. This mostly do to tidal differences. It was a nostalgic moment having spent the last 5 -6 weeks making our way through the Great Lakes, up the St. Lawrence River, through the locks, out the seaway with whales, and seals and then north and east past some of the most impressive vistas we've seen anywhere.

Prince Edward Island was so much more than I ever expected. The car rental turned out to be just the perfect solution to a less than perfect weather day. But we only we able to visit the northern portion leaving the middle and southern sections for another trip, by motor home or car. We are so impressed with the Canadian maritimes we will return.

The last two days have been greorgus but windless. It seems to either glassy flat calm or white kunckles on the wheel with all the anxiety of heavy winds and rough water. We've been tested and the boat's been tested as well. And guess what?..... We've passed!!!

This has been a journey of completely unexpected and stunning experiences. Having never been north of the Laurentian Mountain except when skiing and then paying no attention to the topography and the people, I was wowed!! Forgive me Canadian readers, but this land is not forsaken, it is beautiful. There isn't any ice, and Mother Nature has out done herself dressing up these provences stunningly.

Tonight we are anchored in Canso Harbor. For some reason there are very few trees, the ones that do grow are stunted and it looks as you might expect a far out rocky point windblown and beatup by the weather. This town has quite a history as a fishing station. I can look out at the open Atlantic from our anchorage. Our guide book talks about Canso as being a shut down town; from my vanatage point here on Lucky Bird this place looks picturesque, with the hugh church, light houses, well manacured lawns and houses concentrated around the harbor. This town may have seen more prosperous times but to those living here now you offer a special sense of martitime being to these two traveling sailors. We'd love to sit with you and listen to your stories.

Last night, tied to the dock in Ballentynes Cove, an 80 year old fellow came down to our boat and talked with us for an hour. He has lived in Ballentyne Cove all his life and has fished for lobster since he was sixteen. Talk about values, talk about deep commitment, stability, patience and persistence. 50 years of marriage, and he was still living life although he'd just fought off neck cancer and was working hard at gaining back his strength and some weight. So what does this man of the sea do? He walks the docks, swinging his arms, loving his life and reaching out to people like us to share his stories. Such a positive person, he touched us with is honesty and integrity; I hope we gave him something in return.

Tomorrow we turn west down the coast of Nova Scotia, a moment to pause and reflect on how wonderful this has all been so far. Thank you Lord!
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009