The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Halifax, N S

18 August 2009 | Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron
Bob, Beeeuuutiful, August is the Month for the Maritimes
The Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron; can you imagine how much of a mouthful that is to say over a VHF radio? And I would say it twice followed by "This is Lucky Bird, Lucky Bird on channel 68 over". Try it. Well unfortunately they never responded so we rolled the dice, headed into Halifax Harbor around 20:30 hoping we could find a place to spend a couple of days. This is the termination point of the Marblehead-Halifax Yacht race which I now understand is just a little longer than the Chicago Mac; longer and far more challenging.
Nova Scotia runs west/east from Halifax to Canso and the winds decided it was a good time to go west. Here's the pattern: Leave a harbor, say Canso early, 06:00. Absolutely no wind. The Atlantic is flat. So we power for a couple of hours until we see ripples, then it starts building so up go the sails and off we go, slow at the start and then around noon we are flying. Because the wind is west and we are heading west we have to tack out and back in, out and back in, out and back in. I forget how many times we did that cycle. In hindsight maybe we should have go out, out, out for thirty or so miles and then tacked back. A lesson learned for the next leg of the trip, Halifax south. From here the land bends a little more to the south and the forecast is for SW 15 to 20, so again on our nose and there is hurricane Bill which has caught our attention and will impact our decisions for the next several days.
Yesterday we were beating west and came upon five sail boats heading east. They were sailing dead downwind and for the sailors reading this you know what that means, you either reach, jibe, reach or go wing-on-wing or as these boats, jib only. They were lazily sailing along enjoying the fine weather while we were hard on the wind, water over the bow, reefed and working our way west. No power boats at all; just us rag-baggers out there enjoying the ride.
One item of possible interest is Alice's fish story. We were sailing along, or should I say Vivaldi, the new name of our self steering device, was steering us along and Alice let out a holler. It was too fast for me to see but she saw a very large tuna jump out of the water. A huge fish, a really big fat fish and that's Alice's accounting. I believe her and wished I could have seen it as well. So far I've just seen seals, porpoise and a couple of bolugas.
We discovered a small leak at the bow of the boat where the drain for the windlass well joins a tube that runs to the bow to allow water to exit. Every time our bow sunk into a wave, water rushed up this tube and to our surprise some of it found its way into the boat. Darn!!! I wanted to have only dust in our bilge. So Alice and I have been fiberglassing around the connection and will finally have a completely dry boat. Now, all you sailors out there, how many of you can honestly say your boat has dust in the bilge??
Now it's time for dinner at the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron, that's even hard to type.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009