Lucky Fish

the adventure has begun

21 June 2019 | Casa Azul, Mexico
14 June 2019 | Casa Azul, Mexico
12 June 2019 | Thousand Oaks, California
11 June 2019 | Casa Azul, Mexico
09 June 2019 | Rancho Sirah, Las Cuevas, BCS
06 June 2019 | Casa Azul, BCS
06 June 2019 | Rancho Sirah, Las Cuevas, BCS
05 June 2019 | Casa Azul, BCS
01 June 2019 | Valley Village, Los Angeles, CA
26 May 2019 | Mexico City, MX
26 May 2019 | Mexico City, MX
25 May 2019 | Mexico City, MX
25 May 2019 | La Merced, Mexico City, MX
25 May 2019 | La Merced, Mexico City, Mexico
25 May 2019 | La Merced, Mexico City, Mexico
24 May 2019 | El Patio 77 Hotel, Mexico City, MX
21 May 2019 | Indianapolis, IN
17 May 2019 | Casa Azul, BCS
01 May 2019 | Casa Azul, BCS
25 April 2019 | Casa Azul, BCS

The Rescue

27 February 2010 | Sea of Cortez
First I want to thank everyone who helped in my rescue and who prayed for me.
I thought it might be best if I told everyone how this happened and what we have learned from it .
Around 10.30am on our way from Isla San Francisco to La Paz in very heavy flowing seas our dinghy broke loose. I shouldn't have tried to retrieve her, but, in the moment, I couldn't let my dinghy go without trying to retrieve her. We tried 3 times to go back with Blue being thown all over the place and Maggie's nerves at the end and her saying "My Honey, I can't do this any more". I said one more time and this time Maggie was able to throw a small anchor and it caught the dinghy! Now I had to try and tie the dinghy to Blue which I was not able to do in the huge seas (10- 15 ) foot swells, 4 - 6 seconds apart), but I was able to jump into the dinghy thinking that if I got the dinghy going I could pull up to Blue and retie her.
After getting the dinghy started I realised that the gear and throttle control had broken off when the anchor had caught the dinghy, so the only way of controlling the speed was with a small pair of pliers on a small piece of metal that was sticking out of the throttle control.
We decided that we would try and head for Isla Partida and find shelter but after about 10 minutes Maggie said we were running broadside and we couldn't make the crossing. It would be better to try and make it to La Paz. At that time I called out to Maggie to slow down so I could try one more time to retie the dinghy to Blue but she didn't hear me. All this time I was having a really hard time controlling the speed going down these 20 foot swells and having to turn sharply at the bottom. So just what I was afraid of happened: as I turned at the bottm of the swell another wave hit me and flipped me. I ended up about 20 yards from the dinghy and swam hard! When I reached the dinghy I laughed thinking "Neville, what have you done?"
Maggie was quite a long way from me at this time (thinking that I was still behind her) and thought that I might be gettng cold and needed water so she got a bag ready to throw to me, but when she got to the back of Blue she couldn't see me and didn't know I had flipped even though she had a feeling I had... the swells were coming from two directions and she worried one would get me while I wasn't looking. She tried to turn Blue back into the swells but they were too big and were very close together. She had to make a decision then to continue forward and said it was the hardest thing she has ever had to do, but now knows it was the best decision she could've made.
I was able to climb on the upside down dinghy and hang on. I was drifting very fast and I knew that with the wind and current I would eventually hit land as long as I could hold on. My main concern was how I could get through the night as the waves were hitting me and I was cold and having a hard time staying dry. Maggie is amazing: through all of this she radioed for help and everyone was fantastic. I did see a helicopter but it was quite a long way from me. At around 4 pm (after 4 hours in the water) I saw a sail boat head out of the island and wondered what he was doing going out in weather like this! Then I realized that he was looking for me. Turns out it was Keith and Olina on "Anon" but they were quite a distance from me. It felt really good to know that people were looking for me!
There are many thoughts that go through your mind over the 5 hours: at first I asked God to look after me but then I told him that it wasn't fair to only ask Him when I needed Him and when I haven't even thanked him for anything over the years, so I told Him to forget it, but He helped me anyway! and I've thanked Him a lot since then! I thought about what I had to do to the dinghy to get it fixed and what was left to do on Blue. I knew everyone would be worried but I never ever felt my life was in danger; I guess I am stubborn and, as my boys will tell you, I have put them through many adventures, but nothing like this. I think the key was keeping my mind on the next day and not allowing myself to thinkof anything else! I waved my T-shirt around a couple of times trying to dry it and hoping someone might see it. My glasses were still in my pocket and I shone them into the sun hoping someone might see the light glancing off them! As Maggie mentioned, I cut my toenails! Anything to keep my mind busy. I tried not to think about being thirsty.
When the Mexican navy finally found me around 5.00 pm, I still don't know how they saw me with a white bottom dinghy, the white T-shirt I was wearing and all the white caps on the waves from the wind! They said they had been on the water looking for me for about 4 hours. We were not able to save the dinghy after all that! but they were terrific! Lt Garcia and his crew were super nice to me and I want to thank them again.
Maggie did every thing right. She is amazing. Tomorrow we hope to head out and continue our journey up north toward Mulege and Bahia Concepcion. We were able to find a small dinghy to get us throuh the next couple of weeks before we get back to the States. My job today is to get it ready for fishing!
Take care. I love you all. Thanks Alison for smiling and telling me you'd had the best week ever!! You're amazing too!!

hit counter for blogger
Vessel Name: Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Nordhavn 46
Hailing Port: Channel Islands
Crew: Neville & Maggie
Nev has dreamed about cruising around the world for years. He bought Blue from John McVie (Fleetwood Mac) 5 years ago and that brought his dream a little closer to reality. [...]
Neville Hansen: born in Durban, South Africa, moved to USA 1972, 2 sons , Trevor and daughter-in-law Star, and Dillon. Maggie Hansen: born in South Africa, raised in Swaziland. Moved to the USA in 1992, 2 sons: Stephen and Christopher.
Blue's Photos - Main
Trip around Central America
49 Photos
Created 29 December 2010
While we were home from May - October
35 Photos
Created 18 October 2010
Mexico to Monterey 2010
48 Photos
Created 20 July 2010
29 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 May 2010
Santa Rosalia and visit to Rob and Andy
18 Photos
Created 4 April 2010
The last leg up the Sea of Cortez
27 Photos
Created 28 March 2010
Friends and hikes in Loreto
31 Photos
Created 13 March 2010
On our way up
39 Photos
Created 8 March 2010
random pictures of Mexico and friends
74 Photos
Created 28 February 2010
mum's visit
27 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 February 2010
Mexican Navy Rescue
10 Photos
Created 27 February 2010
Maggie's Photo's
52 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 3 February 2010
46 Photos
Created 20 January 2010
Christmas and New Year
11 Photos
Created 5 January 2010
34 Photos
Created 17 December 2009
on the way dwn
84 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 December 2009
visiting newport beach and dana point
5 Photos
Created 11 November 2009
Setting sail
5 Photos
Created 5 November 2009
We can't leave home without Maggie's wine
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2009
Stripping. sanding and varnishing the wood. Installing air conditioning units.
12 Photos
Created 2 August 2009

The Lucky Fish

Who: Neville & Maggie
Port: Channel Islands
Set to depart Channel Islands November 8th, 2009 We plan to head down Baja taking our time fishing and exploring ,we hope to spend a few months in the Sea of Cortez before heading down to Panama . From there to the Galapagos Islands and our Pacific Ocean crossing in February of 2011 to the Marquesas and from there who knows with our final destination Cape Town South Africa