Antigua to UK

Voyage from Antigua to Falmouth in the UK via the Azores

07 August 2022 | Portland
06 August 2022 | 4 hours from The Bill
05 August 2022 | 10miles South of Scillies
03 August 2022 | Sea area Sole
01 August 2022 | 640 miles out
29 July 2022 | 880 miles to go 43 deg 32.11n 021 deg 27.94w
28 July 2022 | One and a half days out
25 July 2022 | Ponta Delgada narins
19 July 2022 | Ponta Delgada
17 July 2022 | 200 miles out
15 July 2022 | East end of Sao Miguel
04 July 2022 | Sao Miguel
30 June 2022 | Angra Marina
18 June 2022 | Wonderful Horta
17 June 2022 | Horta
17 June 2022 | Horta
15 June 2022 | 130 to go
14 June 2022 | 300 mles to go
11 June 2022 | East of 40W
10 June 2022 | 625 miles to go, but not in a straight line!

Upset in Vieques

04 December 2018 | Porto Ferro, Vieques
Ian Sales
With a hire car we bought an AT&T phone package, including free phone, for internet and calls,texts all unlimited for use in US territories. We stocked up on provisions and went over to Buck Island, a nature reserve with crystal clear waters where I removed the ropecutter which proved to be the source of all the rattling below the stern. This involved multiple dives to the propshaft where I managed to remove the 4 allen screws and the ropecutter parts without dropping anything. We then fuelled and watered up and on Friday 30th we sailed over to Vieques, about 45 miles using just the headsail on a very broad reach. Anchored in Ensenada Honda, a large bay surrounded by mangroves and nothing else, we were the only boat there. Saturday I called the Border Agency and to cut a long story short were told to report to the airport at 9.30-1000 on Sunday morning. We moved anchorage to Sun Bay, the next bay from "town" as the holding off Esperanza was not good and it was a dinghy ride over from Sun Bay. No other yachts in Sun Bay, but plenty of weekend craft. We were up early on Sunday and set off in the dinghy only to find the gap we hoped to pass through was now solid so we had to beach the dinghy and walk to town to get a taxi to the airport. Unfortunately the beach was steep with surf, we got pooped, I was thrown out and G was laid out in front of the dinghy seat, while the dinghy was half full of watr with our wet bag and fuel floating about. After 10 mins of both heaving we pulled the dinghy out of the surf and counted the damage. All our devices and papers were in in the wet bag which had protected most of them, very luckily for us, but our kindle had died and | had lost my prescription sunglasses. There was a cafe with restrooms by the beach so we rinsed the salt and sand off, and squelched into town. Luckily our new US phone worked so we ordered a taxi and made the airport where we were issued with a cruising permit which they omitted to do in St.Croix! Back to town and after a brunch we returned to the beach to work out if the engine still ran and how to launch the dinghy without a repeat performance. Vieques is very quiet and there was hardly anyone on the one mile long beach at Sun Bay. We couldn't launch where we landed so we hauled the dinghy quarter of a mile round the beach to a quieter spot. This took two and a half hours and solved our overweight and lack of exercise issues at a stroke. The engine still worked, and with the help of a couple of tourists we got pushed out to deep enough water to be able to motor back to the yacht. We had the next day as a rest day and then Tuesday we moved to Puerto Ferro, a couple of miles to the east. It is an enclosed bay with alleged Bioluminesence but with a bar across the entrance with only six and a half feet!! We decide to give it a go as it was high water which gave us an extra 10 inches, and taking it slowly we inched over with the depth meter showing a low of 2.4 metres. Once in we anchored in 3 metres and it is a sheltered spot with our only company being about 5 other yachts with no one on board that were moored for the summer. I still have jobs, I need to get the generator running, check the positive connection on the SSB, as we can hear all but cannot be heard, tighten the main engine fanbelt and check the watermaker.

We move to Culebra about 15 miles away soon and then to Puerto Rico which is a short hop from there.

All these islands took hits from Hurricane Maria in 2017 and are still coming to terms with the damage but it is quiet here as charter boats from the BVI's and USVI's are not allowed to come this far so we are all on our own.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucy Alice
Vessel Make/Model: Oyster406
Crew: Ian & Glenda Sales
Lucy Alice's Photos - Main
2021 to 2022
17 Photos
Created 30 June 2022
3 Photos
Created 6 March 2019
16 Photos
Created 1 February 2019
Photos in and around Cuba
26 Photos
Created 17 January 2019
33 Photos
Created 5 November 2018
3 Photos
Created 12 January 2018
No Photos
Created 26 March 2017
Barbados upt o the North and back down to Granada
19 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
Passage to Barbados and observations thereafter
11 Photos
Created 3 November 2016
39 Photos
Created 7 August 2016