Sea adventures with D & D

13 July 2012 | Green Monarchs, Lake Pend O'Relle
13 July 2012 | Sandpoint, Id
30 March 2012 | North Idaho
30 March 2012 | North Idaho
21 March 2011 | Home
12 March 2011 | Bucerias
10 March 2011 | Bucerias
07 March 2011 | La Cruz Marina
07 March 2011 | La Cruz Marina
07 March 2011 | La Cruz Marina
06 March 2011 | La Cruz Marina
05 March 2011 | Arrived in La Cruz Marina seconds ago
02 March 2011 | Barra Navidad
02 March 2011 | Barra Navidad
02 March 2011 | Melaque
01 March 2011 | Barra Navidad
27 February 2011 | Santiago Bay
25 February 2011 | Santiago Bay on 2/24
23 February 2011 | Zihuatanejo Cooking Class
22 February 2011 | Zihuatanejo Cooking Class

A Market in Manzanillo

27 February 2011 | Santiago Bay
Picture is Darryl working on new connections between the anchor chain and line.
2/26 Rise and the sun is shining – haven’t seen rain since we arrived. We decide exercise is on the docket today, along with a Mercado (market) In Manzanillo that is more for the residents than the gringos (though we are certainly welcomed). So, we take turns rowing in, manage to not get wet and park the dinghy. Other cruisers zip by us in their motorized dinghys and look at us like we are nuts, but, hey, we don’t care – we are anxious to keep fit and we have many quiet days of sailing. It’s a couple mile walk on the beach to the bus stop. This is when the fun begins. . . we hop aboard a bus that comes by, Darryl pays our 6 pesos each (about 50 cents) and explain where we are going. The short version is that 1 ½ hours later, we are politely asked to get off the bus; he points off to the right and indicates 5 blocks. 10 blocks later and several turns along with asking passersby – and we have found it. I find it perfect fodder for teasing Darryl, the rest of the day. However, fact is we saw a good deal of Manzanillo that we didn’t even know existed. We were the only gringos and yet had absolutely no problem. We were offered lots of help in Spanish, as we were trying to explain where we hoped to go. The market was fun, lots to see, some beautiful vegetables, and we had a great Mexican lunch upstairs at a little booth. We were ready to traipse home, but having no idea exactly where we were, we just walked up and down blocks, stopped buses asking and finally boarded one that said, “Se, Playa de Santiago”. Ok, so this bus was a bit noisy, but it was only about a 40 minute ride. One of the scenes: a young dad, maybe 19 years old, boarded with a tiny baby I estimate to be under 2 weeks old. The babe was dressed immaculately in a little yellow sleeper, with hand-crocheted booties. Daddy was so caring, it was a very touching thing to watch. He protected her little head, rocked her gently, gave her a bottle of water, burped her, kept her face covered when the bus door opened and people walked by. We both were touched. Finally, dropped off at our stop, and then the two mile walk back to our dinghy. A wet launching, but the water was warm and we had spent almost 6 hours in our journey. It was time for dinner and cards by the time we got back to “Luffin It.”
1/27 and it’s a work day. I get to clean the refrigerator, Darryl works on projects, and we break off and enjoy the bay around us every so often. Weather is warm, but not hot – maybe 78 which is a good temperature for us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Luffin It
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 367 Cutter
Hailing Port: Mazatlan
Crew: Darryl & Donna
About: We are a retired couple living in Sandpoint, Idaho and have a 27' Cal which we sail on Lake Pend O'Reille. We got the cruising bug after sailing on Moorings sail boats in Sea of Cortez. Have just purchased our own sailboat and will take off shortly.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/luffinit/

First time cruisers

Who: Darryl & Donna
Port: Mazatlan