Southward Bound

20 July 2016 | Steinbach
23 January 2016 | Mazatlan
19 January 2016 | Mazatlan
13 January 2016 | Mazatlan
07 January 2016 | Mazatlan
12 December 2015 | Mazatlan
24 November 2015 | Mazatlan
20 November 2015
18 November 2015
07 November 2015 | Mazatlan
25 October 2015 | False Creek
24 October 2015 | Stevenston Marina
24 October 2015
14 October 2015
13 May 2015
17 November 2014 | San Diego CA
09 September 2014 | Newport Or
02 September 2014 | Astoria OR
22 August 2014 | Port Angeles WA
17 August 2014 | Viscotia B.C.

False Creek Vancouver

25 October 2015 | False Creek
Dean
It is now the end of May and after 4 weeks of repairs, spit and polish, it is time to leave Steveston. I guess this is the start of our journey as we are now on the hook and will be for an extended time here, 2 weeks for sure. We find that we are very near the condo we normally stay at in downtown Van. Can almost walk there! Guess what we are doing now??? Another install!!! This time it is a twin system chart plotter!!! With the luxury of a pilot house comes the added expense of having everything twinned! We need a 2nd system for the pilot house, not just the outside helm. With a little help from Gord, we manage to get the system installed in goodly fashion and time. I had already run the wires to both stations before Gords arrival so it was a matter of hooking up and making sure everything worked properly! There is always a bit of a glitch when it comes to doing an install of this nature and this occurred by finding a loose wire in the back of the main panel. Gord thought he found the spot where it came from...nope, I found later that my bilge pumps were not working!!! Remembering which wire Gord found, I looked closely, repositioned the connection and viola!! Back to working pumps. The thing I have not mentioned was that I had thought the pump had fried, went and purchased a new one and done the install! Nothing wrong with another spare pump...
The one thing we became while here was an oddity worthy of being photographed! The water taxi's, and there were many, came within 10 feet of us many times during the day so people could take photos! This would not be the last time we were the subject of paparazzi! Now that we have our systems working we are looking at our shake down cruise...a circumnavigation around Vancouver Island! I know the term circumnavigation should be used for a much larger trip but...this will be a trip of somewhere around 800 miles and will take us about a month to complete. As you can tell, we do not do many things quickly!
Comments
Vessel Name: Solastra
Vessel Make/Model: Pan Oceanic/Sea Star 46
Hailing Port: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Crew: Dean & Lynn Ducharme
About: Dean & Lynn fell in love with sailing while on a "Windjammer Barefoot" cruise. Since 1990 we have owned 3 sail boats, taken lessons and are currently preparing "Solastra" for a southern journey. Now retired, we eagerly await the beginning of our adventure.
Extra: This adventure begins in the middle of our dream. It would be difficult to start from the beginning. Join us now as we prepare to embark on an adventure that we are sure, will be full of suprises.

The Crew

Who: Dean & Lynn Ducharme
Port: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada