M o k s h a Sails the Seven Seas

The adventures of the world's fastest red Shipman 72!

21 November 2016 | Auckland
06 April 2016
05 April 2016
03 April 2016 | Auckland Islands: Enderby Island
01 April 2016 | Auckland Island
31 March 2016 | Roaring Fifties
30 March 2016 | Bluff to Auckland Island
19 December 2013 | Recife, Belem, Trinidad, Columbia & Panama
19 December 2013 | Recife, Belem, Trinidad, Columbia & Panama
10 October 2013 | Gibraltar, Palma, Lanzarote
10 November 2012
17 October 2012
12 October 2012
24 September 2012 | Stangford Lough
15 September 2012 | Rhu Marina, Scotland
08 September 2012 | Rhu Marina

In the eye of a Penguin

03 April 2016 | Auckland Islands: Enderby Island
There is a rude awakening at 0700 as the dinghy hoisted up on the starboard side of the boat next to Jon's bunk starts causing a disturbance to the quiet. On investigation it is clear the bridle has broken which was centralising the dinghy position, and the dinghy is swinging wildly in the now 20+ knots of wind, and the outboard engine is banging noisily on the hull. Everyone is called on deck and under a dark, menacing sky (it feels far too early) we hurriedly get the dinghy safely stored away inside its locker. And then we sneak back to bed awaiting daylight.
Come Ten o'clock Richard, James and Kim (me) prep up as Enderby Island Shore Party Numero 2, which involves some hours poking our heads above deck into 25 knots of wind and cold while debating whether we should do it today or wait for better weather. It's decided that - even though there is heavy mist - it isn't raining (yet) and the swell will just about allow a beach-landing . The dinghy touches shore on Sandy Bay next to a juvenile albatross gathering area, where we watch with amusement as they scatter themselves into their long gangly-legged take-offs; imagine an Airbus 330 taking off with one dodgy wheel, barely managing to get off the ground. We drop our emergency shore bag (thermal blankets, food rations and meds etc) next to the DoC hut, all the while under the watchful gaze of a yellow-eyed penguin, moulting her feathers as we're moulting our drysuits.
We stroll up the DoC boardwalk wowing at the array of flora and fauna but seeing very little wildlife, and in fact seeing very little in front of us at all as a thick fog has set in. We spot our first knee-high mega-herbs, 'bulbinella' (which look akin to giant broccoli mixed with feather dusters), not flowering this late in the year but still curious and attractive, and at the North end we sit on the cliff edge enjoying a quick snack and being swooped on by skuas and albatross as the wind picks up and the rain kicks in.
The boardwalk terminates here and we follow a barely visible path east along the coast. Along the way there are many wonderful encounters as we trudged through the mist; spotting tomtits, a falcon, red-crested parakeets, shags, and numerous albatross-pellets showing recently digested bird skeletons and feathers (including what looks like a green parakeet). The going is pretty tough on the ankles as we navigate around close-set tussocks and kelp-covered rocks at the water's edge, but every step is worth the challenge due to the numerous sightings of active albatross pairs, yellow-eyed penguins hopping across the rocks and hiding in burrows, and seal-lion pups playing raucously together in muddy pools grunting and snuffling to each other. There is up to 8m depth of peat across the island and the ground is incredibly moist and bouncy and fun to experiment with underneath our feet.
We adhere to the minimum of a 5m distance between us and the seals, but on one occasion we walk through a narrow area between a big group of highly stimulated and active seal-lions and a small lake, and we do not go unnoticed. The two young male pups start lumbering towards us, playfully open-mouthed and barking. We follow the guidelines from Jo at DoC, slowly backing away and holding out a rucksack for them to sniff and keep the distance, and they stop a couple of metres away still showing interest and curiosity.
We enjoy the chance to see them up close for a brief moment when from our left we are 'greeted' at speed by an aggressive female seal rushing from the water at twice the speed the young pups were approaching us. She makes some very clear, 'Back off, Humans! Beware my wrath and pointy teeth!' sounds, looking momentarily dragon-like as her breath condenses on the cold air. We hastily reverse at speed, leaving her to return to her young'uns and likely give them a bit of a telling-off.
We had been given the heads-up that you do not look sea-lions in the eye as this challenges them, and you do not run away and turn your back as they may think you are playing or vulnerable. The most likely medication needed on expeditions to these parts is strong anti-biotics as seals often bite visitors if the rules are not followed and their behaviour and space is not respected, and their mouths are full of bacteria humans are not used to fighting.
We spotted many yellow-eyed penguins in pairs or alone, some moulting and standing on patches of their small, white, waterproof feathers, some having beautiful black and white contrasted coats and bright colours of pink and yellow on their faces. It's hard to believe there was once a roaring trade for fashionable penguin skin hand-muffs for ladies c 1880, and more than 15,000 penguin skins were traded.
The walk generally takes 4-6 hrs depending on the fitness of the walkers and the desire to amble and study nature, and we managed to get back to the boat just in time for dusk, Kim being blamed (fairly) for the excessive 'standing' and appreciation of creatures and birds as we travel. (I appreciate the patience of my fellow group members).
The Enderby day is almost finished as we wait for our dinghy pick-up and witness a young albatross try to take-off from the beach, splashing his massive feet on the water making no upward progress, until he clumsily races up a wave and uses the curve of the surf to get airbound and away; imagine this with the E.T theme flight music and you've got the picture. Hugely entertaining and would surely cause a smile on any face of even the least likely of 'twitchers'. We get back to welcoming Moksha to warm up and snuggle under blankets and rest our weary legs.
The next day we hope to up-anchor and find a new bay with a new adventure.'
Comments
Vessel Name: M o k s h a
Vessel Make/Model: Shipman 72
M o k s h a's Photos - Main
April - Oct 16
32 Photos
Created 13 October 2016
Moksha and her crew prepare to venture to the sub-Antarctic 'Auckland Island'
13 Photos
Created 30 March 2016
Moksha gets her first taste of the Pacific Ocean visiting Galapagos, Easter Island, Pitcairn Island, Gambias, Tuamotos and Tahiti
23 Photos
Created 30 March 2016
Recife, Belem, Trinidad, Columbia and Panama
32 Photos
Created 18 December 2013
Atlantic crossing via Cape Verdes and Fernando De Noronha
17 Photos
Created 7 November 2013
Moksha takes a break from worldwide cruising for some upgrades...
15 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
8 Photos
Created 17 November 2012
13 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 12 October 2012
11 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
20 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
18 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
7 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
8 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
2 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
11 Photos
Created 2 July 2012
15 Photos
Created 23 May 2012
20 Photos
Created 15 May 2012
4 Photos
Created 15 May 2012
7 Photos
Created 15 May 2012
6 Photos
Created 15 May 2012
39 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
6 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
9 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
41 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
7 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
4 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
9 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
2 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
13 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
17 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
6 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
16 Photos
Created 25 March 2012
8 Photos
Created 25 March 2012
14 Photos
Created 19 March 2012
14 Photos
Created 19 March 2012
5 Photos
Created 19 March 2012
1 Photo
Created 13 March 2012
24 Photos
Created 13 March 2012
8 Photos
Created 27 October 2011
12 Photos
Created 27 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 27 October 2011
8 Photos
Created 27 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 18 October 2011
14 Photos
Created 18 October 2011
3 Photos
Created 18 October 2011
16 Photos
Created 18 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 14 October 2011
11 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
14 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
14 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
13 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
17 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
27 Photos
Created 4 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 29 July 2011
16 Photos
Created 29 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 29 July 2011
17 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
22 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
8 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
15 Photos
Created 19 July 2011
11 Photos
Created 14 July 2011
6 Photos
Created 9 July 2011
10 Photos
Created 9 July 2011
10 Photos
Created 9 July 2011
9 Photos
Created 9 July 2011
12 Photos
Created 5 July 2011
8 Photos
Created 1 July 2011
13 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 20 June 2011
3 Photos
Created 14 June 2011
5 Photos
Created 14 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 June 2011
4 Photos
Created 11 June 2011
2 Photos
Created 11 June 2011
7 Photos
Created 11 June 2011
15 Photos
Created 6 June 2011
9 Photos
Created 6 June 2011
12 Photos
Created 1 June 2011
The fire breathing mountain!
7 Photos
Created 27 May 2011
7 Photos
Created 27 May 2011
16 Photos
Created 27 May 2011
12 Photos
Created 27 May 2011
9 Photos
Created 21 May 2011
14 Photos
Created 20 May 2011
18 Photos
Created 16 May 2011
14 Photos
Created 16 May 2011
The super fancy marina and other stuff
7 Photos
Created 12 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
5 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
9 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
15 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 May 2011

Where we are/have been

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. --Mark Twain