S/V Mabel Rose

Join us for a trip from New York to Tasmania, and back, we hope. Departing Saturday.

Landfall in the Galapagos

After days of a slow fade from black to grey this morning, the sky was filled with pink highlight and the sliver of a moon popped on with one of the planets of the convergence. Turning ahead under one of the pink tinted cloud was a triangular shape �" Landfall at last. San Cristobal the island we are required to make our first stop at. The northern end is steep and dry in contrast to the lush greenery of the Azores �" another of my favorite volcanic island landfalls. We still have a way to go and it is still upwind. The plan was for Karl to wake up early and to find a place for the hull/barnacle inspection. At nine, the wind was perky and we were making good time towards the south end of the island so Karl went back to sleep.

By 1 with the company of 3 brown boobies we stopped the boat and discussed how Karl was going to do the inspection. We were surprised that even with the centerboard down we could keep her stalled into the wind. By 2 with pictures of our clean hull secured we headed for our coastal tour of the island. Little evidence of human activity while much evidence of volcanic cones, plugs and flow. Marvelous to watch a new landscape go past at 6 knots and listen to its stories.

By sunset we are tucked into the anchorage in Wreck Bay with sea lions everywhere. We meet with customs tomorrow at 1030 and hope crazy cleaning binge we have been on meet the criteria for entry. Another successful passage �" no fatalities.

We are both exhausted. All naps were skipped today for the big clean. Karl will not be blogging at midnight today.



Bird Note : Our first Blue Footed Booby today. Can not recognize almost all the boobies. Masked are strikingly white, Brown are everywhere and very brown. Blue footed have a lighter breast

Comments