S/V Mabel Rose

Join us for a trip from New York to Tasmania, and back, we hope. Departing Saturday.

Pacific Pursuit

In a normal race among cruising ocean sailboats of different design, all the boats start at the same time, their finish times ar recorded, and then their times (and finishing places) are adjusted based on a handicapping system for the expected speed of the boat. The chief determinant of the speed of a monohull is its waterline length - the longer the boat, the faster it goes. Rarely is the first boat over the line the winner.

In a pursuit race, boats start at staggered times based on their expected time to complete the course - the slowest boat starts first, the fastest boat starts last, and each start is timed based on the length of the course so that all the boats should finish at the same instant if they all sailed at the speed based on the handicapping rule. The first boat to cross the line in fact is the winner.

Before we left Santa Cruz, we exchanged satellite email information with the three other boats leaving for the Marquesas this week, and we agreed to exchange position and weather reports daily. It is a comfort to know there are other sailors in the same general area, in case any one of us needs help. The four boats are the Mabel Rose (departed Saturday), Sea Pearl (departed Sunday), Independence (departed Monday), and Invictus (scheduled to depart Tuesday).

What do you call four sailboats headed across the Pacific on the same course at the same time? In my first position report, I suggested the last boat to Hiva Oa should buy beers for all the others, Matthias on Sea Pearl emailed back, “We're in.”

Our staggered starts are more or less according to a rough handicap - Mabel Rose, a Hood 38, is the shortest and theoretically the slowest boat. Sea Pearl, a Jenneau 45.5 and Independence, a Pan Oceanic cutter that is also about 45 feet long would be faster, and had a later start. And Invictus, a Beneteau 57, should be substantially faster than the rest of us, and started last.

We have been making 150 miles a day or more so far, so our head start gave us 150 miles on Sea Pearl, 300 miles on Independence p, and 450 miles on Invictus. I would expect the 45 footers to go about half a knot faster than us - worth 12 miles a day. So Sea Pearl might pass us 12 days after her start. Independence would need 24 days (too late) and Invictus with a one knot advantage might just catch up with us after 19 days - about when we are due in Hiva Oa..

And they're off! Of course, this assumes boats sailed for speed rather than comfort, and enough wind to drive all the boats at their maximum speed. All in good fun. We had a good day today, distance wise - looks like we have made 175 miles in the last 24 hours. Our slight jog north seems to have paid off with a knot of fair current, we have been making eight knots good for most of the day. The sailing is still a little tricky, with winds that shift and gust with every passing cloud and patch of garua mist.I have decided the misty, drizzly weather will persist as long as we stay in this pool of cool water - at least another 300 miles/ two days.

In other news, did you know that squid can fly? One jumped out of the ocean, flew through the air, smacked Robin in the face, and then bit her finger when she picked it up, leaving a tingling sensation.

Comments