S/V Mabel Rose

Join us for a trip from New York to Tasmania, and back, we hope. Departing Saturday.

Steady as She Goes

How many days does a 3000 mile tradewinds passage actually take?

One. Just one day. You just live that same day over and over again until you get there,

There is not much to distinguish Tuesday from Monday this week. We sail comfortably and steadily downwind, and Aunt Mabel is happy to steer with minimal adjustments. The boat still rocks and rolls. We are going just fast enough to make Atuona on Hiva Oa before dawn Friday, but not fast enough to make it before sunset Thursday.

Here is what made Tuesday different:

Ship ahoy! Yes, there are actually other human beings on this planet after all - several Chinese fishing boats showed up on the AIS display; and one was visible on the horizon. I suspect this is where Hitch has landed.

We saw another booby, and a frigate bird - ordinarily signs of land, since frigate birds can't swim. But I suspect this is also a ship hitchhiker.

Sea Pearl overlook us, forty miles north of our track.

I tried the water maker again since we were going slower and had ample solar power, same frustrating results - two quarts of fresh water, then nothing. It appears to have air bubbles again. I may try tinkering again tomorrow.

The waxing crescent moon is bright enough now to light the deck, and our sea path,early in the night watch. But now that moon has set and all that us left is a sky of brilliant stars and the creaks, squeaks, and groans of our vessel as she glides her way ever westwards.

Comments