S/V Mabel Rose

Join us for a trip from New York to Tasmania, and back, we hope. Departing Saturday.

What Do You Do With Sixty Ripe Bananas

Three days out of Bora Bora, and our entire bunch of bananas hanging from the solar arch has become ripe at once. I count about sixty of them. Not very large bananas. Still, what do two people do with that many bananas? I snack on about one every hour. Can you get sick from eating too many bananas?

Three days out, and the weather is fine. The wind blows exactly where we want to go, and with the Genoa poled out and no main the Mabel Rose is rock steady. The pole keeps the sail unflappably taught, and our craft is oddly quiet as she plows across the deep furrows of sea. At times, she seems steadier and more settled than in some of the anchorages in French Polynesia. Then a sharp roll hits and objects and people go flying.

Three days out, and the weather forecast is still unsettled, with a not quite tropical system spinning up some big winds and seas not quite where we expect to be on Sunday and Monday. NZ Bob says we are making great progress and should try to get “there” by Tuesday local time to avoid beating into southwesterlies. Since Vava'u is on the other side of the international date line, Tuesday there (and in NZ) would be Monday here. But still we are heading west northwest almost to Samoa to be on the safe side, adding miles and days to the passage. I do not expect arrival until Wednesday or Thursday, at the earliest.

Three days out, and the bottom shelf dropped out of the galley pantry cabinet. Too much stuff crammed in there, and not fastened very well. I fixed it with some brackets and mending plates during my morning watch while Aunt Mabel steered the boat.

Three days out, and we haven't seen another vessel since the American catamaran Easy Breezy turned to go into Mauihaa that first morning out. Though Windsong has gybed north and just might cross our path in the next day or so.

Three days out and I know I have adjusted to my watch schedule because I can fall asleep immediately whenever I go off watch. This is good. Being sleepy all day just means it is easier to stay awake all night.

Three days out, and the waxing moon lights our path ahead tonight. All is well aboard the Mabel Rose.

Comments