S/V Mabel Rose

Join us for a trip from New York to Tasmania, and back, we hope. Departing Saturday.

And Then the Sea Grew Still

We are at that point in the voyage where we watch the miles left to go and the knot meter and keep doing the division to calculate an expected time of arrival I. Opua. All the forecasts had the winds diminishing and backing today, which would slow us considerably. But at mid afternoon, we were still making six knots on a reach, making a Thursday afternoon landing plaisible.

But I had already advised NZ customs to expect us Friday morning, and we were counting on one more day at sea to dispose of our remaining fruits and vegetables, contraband in New Zealand, one way or another. And we have a rule against entering unfamiliar harbors after dark. A Friday arrival was already a day earlier than I had optimistically estimated upon our departure.

At 1800, the wind had backed enough that we really has to drop the mainsail for keep the boom from banging against the sheets. So I went on deck and poled out the jib and dropped and tied down the main, while Robin assisted from the cockpit.

We slowed down in the diminished winds, and a Thursday arrival was no longer plausible. Robin was a little upset by this, I think she had begun to count on a full nights sleep in port by tomorrow night. And our friends on Samsara, who left over a day after us, plan to check in in Opua at 1000 tomorrow morning.

But we are making a pleasant four knots under bright stars, with quiet winds and an easy roll.And I don’t much mind being at sea for one more night.

Comments