S/V Mabel Rose

Join us for a trip from New York to Tasmania, and back, we hope. Departing Saturday.

Not the Right Clothes for the Election Day Eclipse

We left New York in May with the rust color of a lunar eclipse showing us the way across the Gulf Steam. Maps of the Election Day eclipse showed we would again be in the path of total eclipse with the rusty moon showing up around midnight. Seeing it would require warm clothes, patience and good luck.

I have misplaced my cold weather pajamas. As it has gotten colder as we have moved south I have been asking in every New Zealand store if they sell warm pajamas. Although all the children are swimming in full wetsuits, this country is barreling towards summer. Flowing cotton summer dresses hang on the racks not warm fuzzy pajamas. Today we went to Kerikwri to get the rental car and a stereo system to replace the one that remembered it was an auto stereo and not a boat stereo left the Mabel Rose in a stinky puff of smoke. We passed a hunting and fishing store and both realized this might be the place to find Karl, hiking boots. He has only worn sandals if anything on his feet since May. If his leg is better, boots will be needed to hike on our upcoming vacation from our boat sailing and maintenance jobs. The outdoors store is filled with crossbows, guns, fishing rods, weird towed fishing systems, boots and camping gear. Karl tries on boots and I look around for pajamas. The navy terry towel hoodies that come down to your knees are catchy with a shark embroidered on the back but they are probably not very warm. Karl find a pink fleece top in one of his hikes around the store. The fleece is cozy but not very long. In the kids section there are fuzzy hooded onesies in bright camouflage pink perfect but way to small. The slender young woman helping Karl announces she wears kids 10 onesie pajama and is sure the 14 would fit me. One more tramp around the store and I bring back two striped onesies, size 16, one pink and one blue and yellow. I have also found an extra extra large fleece hoodie that comes down to my knees. The fleece onesie fits but... well not sure it is easy enough to to get on and looks ridiculous. It would have kept me warm waiting for an eclipse but there is not another eclipse till 2025. The dark blue hoodie would be much easier to slip into dash around on deck or to cook eggs for breakfast.

By the end of the day the new stereo is filling the boat with New Zealand's reporting on the election. The sun has come out and our American flag is stretched out and snapping in the breeze. While I did not have the new pajamas in time to wait for the sky to clear, I did get to listen to the terns midnights discussion on the dock. I gave up I the eclipse at just after midnight. Apparently it was glorious in North River and the pre dawn watch party in Halifax was a blast. Here the clouds had disappeared by 4am but the eclipse was done. We are glad we voted even if it took many Polynesian stamps and a Fed Ex from Tonga. The race in our congressional district is close and our votes are in but not counted yet. Every vote matters. Karl sends a musical video congratulations to his friend elected in California.

Perhaps if I had sat in the cockpit in warm pajamas I would have seen the eclipse as the clouds blew away but I have plenty of time to prepare for the next eclipse and we will be home for the next congressional election.

Comments