S/V Mabel Rose

Join us for a trip from New York to Tasmania, and back, we hope. Departing Saturday.

Three Days in Wellington in Travel Guide Style

Monday morning would be a great time to go shopping for all those things you just could not find in Vava’u or Bora Bora - and between Lamdon Quay and Willis Street there is almost nothing you cannot find. Remember, Christmas at sea is not that far away! After a quick lunch at your Travelodge Hotel room it’s a short walk to the small but eclectic collection at the Wellington Museum - don’t miss the gruesome film about the Wahine disaster or the charming holographic animation of Māori creation legends. Then take a walk along the waterfront to the classic Wellington Station and up the hill to Old St Paul’s wooden cathedral building. Cap off the day with some wood fired pizzas at Loretta’s on Cuba Street.

Start your day Tuesday with a visit to the Te Papa Museum, also on the waterfront. It has a wonderful hands on natural science exhibit on the first floor, and an even better collection and depiction of Māori art and culture upstairs, including a captivating animated display explaining PolynesIan navigation techniques as a backdrop to a replica of a seagoing wake (sailing canoe). Grab some pies for lunch at a cafe then spend the afternoon observing a workshop session on Antarctic ice melt and sea level rise at the Parliamentary Commission on the Environment. Then catch the ST Lee lecture delivered by Dr. Robin Bell at the Council Chambers of Victoria University, followed by a late dinner at Shed 5 on the waterfront.

Make Wednesday your urban outdoors day. Take the Wellington Cable Car up the hill to the Wellington Botanic Garden and wanders through its collection of formal gardens and New Zealand forests. Lunch at the Cable Top Cafe, with its commanding view out to Wellington Harbor. Visit the Cable Car Museum before catching the afternoon showing of The Navigators at the Space Place planetarium. Enjoy an early dinner at The Village Pub in Kelburne on your way to the twilight tour at Zealandia, a valley preserve being restored to pre-historic conditions, free of introduced predators. If you are lucky you might even hear and see the elusive nocturnal kiwi bird!

Comments