S/V Mabel Rose

Join us for a trip from New York to Tasmania, and back, we hope. Departing Saturday.

We Regret to Inform You (on December 29) That Entry to the Port of Eden on December 28 is Not Permitted

That is basically the import of an email I received from the Australian Department of Agriculture) late this afternoon. DOA performs bio security inspections of entering vessels. Apparently, the Port of Eden is only approved for bio security inspections of commercial vessels, not yachts. This is not indicated on the ABF web page of information for arriving yachts, which links to a page listing ports of entry. The page for Eden says nothing about being restricted to commercial vessels, while other ports (like Lord Howe Island) have a notation that small vessel inspections cannot be performed there.

So I am not sure what this means - the email told us to go to an approved small vessel inspection port for a full bio security inspection. Both Hobart (downwind, where we want to go) and Sydney (upwind 200 miles in the wrong direction) are listed on the DOA website as small vessel arrival ports. But are we allowed in Australian waters in the meantime? Are we allowed to anchor? Can we go ashore? The email from the DOA did not say, and I have asked for clarification.

Meanwhile, the Eden ABF agent (still very pleasant to deal with) told us to come to his office in Eden tomorrow morning to sign the paperwork for our vessel control permit (cruising/temporary import permit).

So we enjoyed a cloudy day of rest in beautiful Nullica Bay., blissfully unaware of this latest wrinkle. I slept late and caught up on tasks that required a pretty good internet connection. Then we went for a walk on the beach, and dined at the classic Seahorse Inn.

Tomorrow, it’s back to Eden for paperwork, provisioning (if allowed) and poring over weather models for the leg to Hobart. The winds are forecast to blow in the right direction until Tuesday, but one model still has strong gusts (up to 52 knots) near our route

Comments